Comparing General Relativity books

In summary, you should learn Carroll as a backup if you don't want to miss out on anything important in MTW.
Elnur Hajiyev
Hello. I have 2 books in General Relativity: MTW Gravitation and Bernard Schutz First Course in General Relativity. I studied Calculus I, II, and have a basic understanding of Linear Algebra(did not studied extensively). I want to learn about GR as much as possible, and improve myself to become at least semi-professional on the topic, on the other hand I do not have enough time to read a big book such as MTW right know read Schutz. Just want to know what will I miss if I learn GR from Schutz instead of MTW Track-1 and is it sufficient to be good in GR as a graduate student?

P.S. MTW Track-1 topics is outlined gray in the book.
P.P.S. I am willing to spend time to learn GR, but I am not Physics student to spend all my time to solely Physics, so I would not prefer to spend much time to learn the same thing just with more examples and explanations, while I can spend less time to read and much time to think about the topics I read and figure out what is going on in my head. So I would know if the differences between the books are really such kind of.
I am sorry, if my language is as bad as not to be understood, but hope my question is clear. I appreciate your answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Amazon let's me see the table of contents of Schutz, and it looks like a pretty complete introduction. The size of MTW is absurd; it contains a huge amount of material that you don't need in order to achieve your goal. BTW, Carroll is a good modern alternative to the standard graduate texts such as MTW and Wald, and there is a partial version online that is free: http://ned.ipac.caltech.edu/level5/March01/Carroll3/Carroll_contents.html

Likes Demystifier, Elnur Hajiyev and QuantumQuest
bcrowell said:
Amazon let's me see the table of contents of Schutz, and it looks like a pretty complete introduction. The size of MTW is absurd; it contains a huge amount of material that you don't need in order to achieve your goal. BTW, Carroll is a good modern alternative to the standard graduate texts such as MTW and Wald, and there is a partial version online that is free: http://ned.ipac.caltech.edu/level5/March01/Carroll3/Carroll_contents.html
Yes, contents cover all concepts that need to learn GR. But I am not sure how much will I learn at the end of the book and what will I miss if I don't read, for example, from Carroll?

Thanks, in advance.

1. What is the difference between General Relativity and other theories of gravity?

General Relativity is a theory of gravity developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It differs from other theories of gravity, such as Newton's theory, by incorporating the concept of spacetime curvature. This means that instead of viewing gravity as a force between masses, General Relativity explains gravity as the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy.

2. What are some good books for beginners to learn about General Relativity?

Some popular books for beginners include "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "Gravity: An Introduction to Einstein's General Relativity" by James Hartle, and "Spacetime and Geometry: An Introduction to General Relativity" by Sean Carroll. It's important to choose a book that suits your level of understanding and interests, so be sure to read reviews and sample chapters before deciding on a book.

3. How does General Relativity relate to the theory of Special Relativity?

Special Relativity, also developed by Albert Einstein, describes the laws of physics in the absence of gravity. General Relativity builds upon Special Relativity by incorporating gravity into the framework of spacetime curvature. In other words, General Relativity is an extension of Special Relativity that accounts for the effects of gravity.

4. Are there any experimental evidence for General Relativity?

Yes, there is a significant amount of experimental evidence supporting General Relativity. For example, the bending of light by massive objects, the precession of Mercury's orbit, and the gravitational redshift of light have all been observed and can be explained by General Relativity. Additionally, the detection of gravitational waves in 2015 provided further confirmation of this theory.

5. Can General Relativity be applied to everyday situations?

While General Relativity is often used to explain large-scale phenomena, such as the motions of planets and galaxies, it can also be applied to everyday situations. For example, the GPS system relies on General Relativity to function accurately, as the satellites are affected by the curvature of spacetime due to the Earth's mass. Additionally, the concept of time dilation in General Relativity has practical applications, such as in satellite communications and in the design of atomic clocks.