1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativity Comparing General Relativity books

1. Mar 6, 2016 #1
    Hello. I have 2 books in General Relativity: MTW Gravitation and Bernard Schutz First Course in General Relativity. I studied Calculus I, II, and have a basic understanding of Linear Algebra(did not studied extensively). I want to learn about GR as much as possible, and improve myself to become at least semi-professional on the topic, on the other hand I do not have enough time to read a big book such as MTW right know read Schutz. Just want to know what will I miss if I learn GR from Schutz instead of MTW Track-1 and is it sufficient to be good in GR as a graduate student?

P.S. MTW Track-1 topics is outlined gray in the book.
    P.P.S. I am willing to spend time to learn GR, but I am not Physics student to spend all my time to solely Physics, so I would not prefer to spend much time to learn the same thing just with more examples and explanations, while I can spend less time to read and much time to think about the topics I read and figure out what is going on in my head. So I would know if the differences between the books are really such kind of.
    I am sorry, if my language is as bad as not to be understood, but hope my question is clear. I appreciate your answers.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2016 #2

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Amazon lets me see the table of contents of Schutz, and it looks like a pretty complete introduction. The size of MTW is absurd; it contains a huge amount of material that you don't need in order to achieve your goal. BTW, Carroll is a good modern alternative to the standard graduate texts such as MTW and Wald, and there is a partial version online that is free: http://ned.ipac.caltech.edu/level5/March01/Carroll3/Carroll_contents.html

4. Mar 8, 2016 #3
    Yes, contents cover all concepts that need to learn GR. But I am not sure how much will I learn at the end of the book and what will I miss if I don't read, for example, from Carroll?

Thanks, in advance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted