A First Course in General Relativity

In summary: I'm shy to talk to you because my English is poor. I hope you understand. Well, sometimes they omitted steps in their derivation. For example, I found there an derivative when they were deriving the volume in a locally flat spacetime that I've never seen before.BUT it is really not the problem, because it's simply to search for answers, like the issue I mentioned earlier would be "how to derive a function of several variables". What bother me is that the book fail in give examples of what they presents. They just do the math and not give worked problems in physics situations (I've no seen that up to the page I've read). Thus it's difficult to me for associating the significance and the function of
kent davidge
For those who have read Schutz' book A First Course in General Relativity. Can this book be considered as a deep approach on the subject?

Edit ---

Do you think I will become a "expert" in general relativity just by reading books like this one I mentioned above? What time it take for learning all of the theroy? I know you probably will say, it varies from one person to another. But what I'm really asking is for the mean time it generally takes for mastering on the subject. (Sorry for my poor English.)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
kent davidge said:
Can this book be considered as a deep approach on the subject?

No. But it's an excellent first course.

Do you think I will become a "expert" in general relativity just by reading books like this one I mentioned above?

No.

What time it take for learning all of the theroy?

ALL the theory? That would take multiple lifetimes.

Likes Lucas SV
micromass said:
No. But it's an excellent first course.
No.
ALL the theory? That would take multiple lifetimes.
So what can I do, what books can I read to acquire more and more knowledge on GR?

kent davidge said:
So what can I do, what books can I read to acquire more and more knowledge on GR?

First things first. Start by reading Schutz and then ask for a deeper book. You might want to start learning math though. If you'll want to know the math deeply and rigorously (not necessary for physicists, but I would personally recommend it), you'll need to do real analysis, topology and differential geometry.

micromass said:
First things first. Start by reading Schutz and then ask for a deeper book. You might want to start learning math though. If you'll want to know the math deeply and rigorously (not necessary for physicists, but I would personally recommend it), you'll need to do real analysis, topology and differential geometry.
Thank you. Can you suggest me a book more deeper than Schutz?

kent davidge said:
Thank you. Can you suggest me a book more deeper than Schutz?

I can, but I don't see the point. Read through Schutz first and then you should tell us what you liked about his approach and disliked, and what you want to study in more detail. Maybe you're interested in a very mathematical approach, in which Wald would be an obvious choice. Or maybe you are interested in something entirely different.
You see, I don't consider a book good because it is deep. I consider it good if it aligns with your personal interests and reading style.

Likes Dale
micromass said:
I can, but I don't see the point. Read through Schutz first and then you should tell us what you liked about his approach and disliked, and what you want to study in more detail. Maybe you're interested in a very mathematical approach, in which Wald would be an obvious choice. Or maybe you are interested in something entirely different.
You see, I don't consider a book good because it is deep. I consider it good if it aligns with your personal interests and reading style.
Ok. I've actually read that book once. I find it hard to understand the concepts of tensors, Reimann Curvature Tensor, Transformation of bases, etc. Do you consider good the way by which the autor explain these concepts? Or maybe can you suggest me other book that I can learn through and after go back to Schutz for applying what I learned in GR?

kent davidge said:
Ok. I've actually read that book once. I find it hard to understand the concepts of tensors, Reimann Curvature Tensor, Transformation of bases, etc. Do you consider good the way by which the autor explain these concepts? Or maybe can you suggest me other book that I can learn through and after go back to Schutz for applying what I learned in GR?

Can you tell me in more detail why you found those concepts hard? I have to know exactly what's bugging you if I am to give you a recommendation useful to you.

micromass said:
Can you tell me in more detail why you found those concepts hard? I have to know exactly what's bugging you if I am to give you a recommendation useful to you.
I'm shy to talk to you because my English is poor. I hope you understand. Well, sometimes they omitted steps in their derivation. For example, I found there an derivative when they were deriving the volume in a locally flat spacetime that I've never seen before.

BUT it is really not the problem, because it's simply to search for answers, like the issue I mentioned earlier would be "how to derive a function of several variables". What bother me is that the book fail in give examples of what they presents. They just do the math and not give worked problems in physics situations (I've no seen that up to the page I've read). Thus it's difficult to me for associating the significance and the function of, say, a gradient on a manifold, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes kent davidge

1. What is general relativity?

General relativity is a theory of gravitation developed by Albert Einstein in 1915. It describes how massive objects in the universe interact and how gravity is the result of the curvature of space and time.

2. What are some real-life applications of general relativity?

General relativity has been confirmed through numerous experiments and observations, and it has many practical applications. Some examples include the Global Positioning System (GPS), which relies on general relativity to account for the time dilation of satellites, and the accurate prediction of the orbit of Mercury.

3. How does general relativity differ from Newton's theory of gravity?

Newton's theory of gravity describes gravity as a force between two objects, while general relativity describes gravity as the curvature of space and time caused by massive objects. General relativity also accounts for the bending of light by massive objects and the effects of gravity on the flow of time.

4. Can you explain the concept of spacetime in general relativity?

In general relativity, spacetime is a four-dimensional fabric that is distorted by the presence of matter and energy. Objects with mass or energy cause spacetime to curve, and this curvature determines the motion of other objects in the vicinity. Spacetime also accounts for the fusion of space and time into a single entity.

5. How does general relativity relate to the theory of the Big Bang?

General relativity is an essential component of the Big Bang theory, which is the leading explanation for the origin of the universe. The theory describes how the universe began as a singularity (a point of infinite density) and has been expanding and cooling ever since. The equations of general relativity are used to describe the expansion of the universe and the evolution of its structure.