Comparing power output of Solar Panels/cells

In summary: A solar panel that absorbs all light (white) will produce the most power, while a solar panel that absorbs only certain colors of light will produce less power.The power output of a solar cell can be compared to the power output of a solar panel by using a circuit. A solar cell can be connected to a voltmeter and ammeter to measure the power. The power output of a solar panel can be calculated by using the equation Q=mc(delta)T. The equation Q is the power, m is the mass of the object, c is the speed of light, and delta is the change in voltage. The equation T is the time.The Attempt at a SolutionHere is a scan of my
jonnyrocks

Homework Statement

The task is to compare the power outputs of solar cells, and solar panels. For solar cells, a circuit is devised to work out the power, solar panels a beaker of water is heated.

Homework Equations

Power=voltagextime
Q=mc(delta)T
Power=Energy/time

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is a scan of my two circuits at the moment
(The link is in my signature, it won't let me post it here ;) 0
For the solar cell, i will use the voltmeter and ammeter to work out the power. However, not sure if a resistor is nnecessary, will it affect the measured output power?

Also, how would I make the experement more accurate? I've already got mirrors to reflect as much light as possible, but would making thew beaker black absorb more light? Aditionally, am I right in thinking that 100g of water = 100ml?

Finally, would I have to multiply the powewr output for the cells by the length of time the solar panel is heating?

Thanks very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Heres the scan:

Attachments

• 111062.jpg
    111062.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 398
To measure the the output of the solar cell you have to connect a load and measure the current that goes through it and the voltage across it. You have to try different resistances as load to see what the value of the load resistance is that maximizes the power.

Energy = Power * Time, so you do have to multiply the power of the solar cell to compare it to the heat added to the water.

Hi,

Solar cells generate an electrical current when light hits their surface. White light that we see from the Sun includes all colors of the visible spectrum and ranges in wavelength from about 400 nanometers (nm) to about 780 nm. Solar cells vary in their response to different wavelengths, or color, of light.

A solar panel will output different levels of power depending on the color and wavelength of the incoming light.

1. How do solar panels/cells convert sunlight into electricity?

Solar panels/cells contain photovoltaic (PV) cells made of silicon, which absorb photons (light particles) from the sun. These photons knock electrons loose from the atoms in the silicon, creating an electric current.

2. What factors affect the power output of solar panels/cells?

The power output of solar panels/cells is affected by several factors, including the amount of sunlight received, the efficiency of the PV cells, the temperature, and the angle and orientation of the panels.

3. Can different types of solar panels/cells have different power outputs?

Yes, different types of solar panels/cells can have varying power outputs. Some factors that can affect this include the material used for the PV cells, the manufacturing process, and the technology used (e.g. monocrystalline vs polycrystalline).

4. How can I compare the power output of different solar panels/cells?

You can compare the power output of solar panels/cells by looking at the wattage rating, which indicates the maximum power output under standard test conditions. You can also consider the efficiency of the panels, which measures the percentage of sunlight that is converted into electricity.

5. Are there any ways to increase the power output of solar panels/cells?

Yes, there are several ways to increase the power output of solar panels/cells. These include optimizing the angle and orientation of the panels, keeping the panels clean and free of shade, and using high-efficiency PV cells. Additionally, installing a larger system with more panels can also increase the overall power output.