Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Comparison b/w work done in adiabatic & isothermal processes

1. Apr 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In the graph attached, why is isothermal graph line higher than adiabatic one??

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    At first, i had thought that work done in an isothermal process is greater than in an adiabatic process....but for comparison we would need same initial and final states (P & V) , wouldn't we?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2012 #2

I like Serena

Homework Helper

The area under the graph is the work done by the gas (W=∫PdV)

You can compare those areas and see that in an isothermal process the work done is indeed higher than in an adiabatic process.

For a proper comparison you would need indeed the same final P&V.
    So introduce an extra isochoric (constant volume) process step (a vertical line in your diagram) and presto!

4. Apr 22, 2012 #3
    i know that............. my doubt was that P & V which are describing the state should be same(initial and final), then we can compare the work done through 2 ways: adiabatic & isothermal
    but i have got it..the graph simply indicates that if we expand a gas and do it isothermally it would require more work to be done

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook