Comparison between 2 or more quantities

In summary, ratios are used to compare two or more quantities with the same units. They can also be used to compare between ingredients in a recipe, even if they have different units. The key is to compare the number of one item to the number of another item, rather than directly comparing the units themselves.
dibilo
Hi everyone, I need your help badly.

This may sound simple to everyone but I need to get the concept sorted out.

For ratios, we know that it is a comparison between 2 or more quantities with the same units.

My question is, can ratio be used to compare between say ingredients in a recipe? say 1 cake needs 5 eggs, 2 cakes needs 10 eggs. Thus 1:5 and 2:10.

Tecnically they are of different "units" (cakes to eggs) but it seems fine to me if we compare it in such manner.

Please help me to solve this problem. Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
dibilo said:
For ratios, we know that it is a comparison between 2 or more quantities with the same units.
Yes, that is true

dibilo said:
can ratio be used to compare between say ingredients in a recipe?
Yes you can I believe.

dibilo said:
Tecnically they are of different "units" (cakes to eggs) but it seems fine to me if we compare it in such manner.

You aren't comparing cakes to eggs in the sense that you are taking a cake and dividing it by 5 eggs.

You are comparing the Number of cakes to the number of eggs.
So the ratio of the number of cakes you can make to the number of eggs needed to make the cakes is given by 1:5

Yes, you compare two numbers AND units using a ratio. The units of one number go together, and the units of the other number go together. Most of the time, numbers COUNT something. This means a unit goes with a number. A very accessible example generally is fuel efficiency and fuel price. Each of those is a different ratio. The number of miles per gallon is a ratio. That be two numbers. The number of dollars per gallon is another ratio, again two numbers.

1. What is a comparison between 2 or more quantities?

A comparison between 2 or more quantities is a method of analyzing and contrasting the differences and similarities between two or more quantities or measurements. This is often done to understand the relationship between these quantities and draw conclusions or make predictions.

2. Why is it important to compare 2 or more quantities?

Comparing quantities is important because it allows us to identify patterns and relationships between different measurements. This can help us make informed decisions, analyze data, and draw conclusions in various fields such as science, economics, and statistics.

3. What are some examples of comparisons between 2 or more quantities?

Some examples of comparisons between 2 or more quantities include comparing the heights of different individuals, comparing the prices of two products, comparing the average temperatures of two cities, and comparing the number of items sold by two companies.

4. How do you compare 2 or more quantities?

To compare 2 or more quantities, you can use various methods such as making a table or chart, using mathematical equations, or visually representing the data through graphs or diagrams. The method used will depend on the type of data being compared and the purpose of the comparison.

5. What are the possible outcomes of a comparison between 2 or more quantities?

The possible outcomes of a comparison between 2 or more quantities include identifying similarities and differences, determining if there is a correlation or relationship between the quantities, and making predictions or conclusions based on the data. It may also lead to further research or analysis to gain a better understanding of the quantities being compared.