How and why can multiplication combine physical quantities?

In summary: There is no magical "operation" that multiplies two physical quantities together and creates a new one- all that happens is that the two quantities are combined into a single one. Multiplication does this by taking the product of the two quantities and dividing it by the number of times the quantity appears in the equation. This is why, for example, when you multiply two numbers together, the result is always a number (even if the numbers are very large). For whole numbers, it means how many "times" you have a quantity. So if I count a quantity of "A things" "6 times", I get 6*A of the things. Think about a 2-d rectangle made up
Haris045
TL;DR Summary
how and why can multiplication combine physical quantities to form a new physical quantity, to make an equation?
I am on a journey to not just understand how to manipulate physics equations but to understand why they work , and how they describe physical phenomena.

I understand how division combines physical quantities. I have this much physical quantity 'per' this much physical quantity. It puts 2 physical quantities in a ratio to describe a physical phenome e.g. velocity=distance/time, It makes sense.

I understand what multiplication does numerically. But I don't understand how it can combine physical quantities to form a new one.

Intuitively I see that multiplication means 'applied over' e.g. W=F*d a 'force applied over a distance' or d=s*t 'a speed applied over a certain time'. mass = density*volume 'a density applied over a volume'. But why

1)So my first question is why does multiplication have this property of combining physical quantities and forming a new one, what is the multiplication doing to these physical quantities.

2)How does the multiplication relate back to the physical phenomena (how can it combine 2 physical quantities to describe a physical phenomena using an equation)

3)what does it show in an equation (about how it is combing the physical quantises to form a new on) , what does it mean in the equation , what is it doing to the physical quantises to form a new one?

4)so I can see that multiplication means 'applied over' but why does it mean this?

Thank you for the help and sorry if I am being ignorant.

Likes Lnewqban
Physics news on Phys.org
For whole numbers, it means how many "times" you have a quantity. So if I count a quantity of "A things" "6 times", I get 6*A of the things. Think about a 2-d rectangle made up of a whole number of smaller rectangles. There are "A" rectangles laid out in a row, and "6" rows of those A rectangles...

EDIT -- similar to images like this one:

1662407159128.png

https://mathisvisual.com/wp-content...ompts.129-7-groups-of-5-squares-1024x576.jpeg

Last edited:
Likes topsquark
Haris045 said:
Summary: how and why can multiplication combine physical quantities to form a new physical quantity, to make an equation?

I understand how division combines physical quantities. I have this much physical quantity 'per' this much physical quantity. It puts 2 physical quantities in a ratio to describe a physical phenome e.g. velocity=distance/time, It makes sense.
To continue your example, if velocity is distance per unit time, then the distance covered in a time T would be velocity times T. That should be obvious to anyone who has traveled in a vehicle. It should also be obvious to you that if your pay per hour is $15.00, your pay after working 10 hours would be $150.00. Note that hourly pay is a different physical quantity from total pay with different units.

Carrying that one step farther, if acceleration is net force per unit mass, then the net force on a 10-kg mass with acceleration 15 m/s2 would be 150 N. $$F_{\text{net}}=ma \Leftrightarrow a=\frac{F_{\text{net}}}{m}.$$You can do this with all products, so if you understand division, you should be able to understand multiplication.

Likes PeroK and topsquark
Haris045 said:
1)So my first question is why does multiplication have this property of combining physical quantities and forming a new one
It doesn't. The mathematical relationships we write describe relationships we observe between physical quantities, nothing more and nothing less.

Haris045 said:
what is the multiplication doing to these physical quantities.
Multiplication is an abstract operation, it cannot "do" anything in the real world.

Haris045 said:
2)How does the multiplication relate back to the physical phenomena
It describes the relationship between them.

Haris045 said:
3)what does it show in an equation (about how it is combing the physical quantises to form a new on) , what does it mean in the equation , what is it doing to the physical quantises to form a new one?
Again these questions are not meaningful: multiplication is just multiplication. Similarly division is just division

Haris045 said:
4)so I can see that multiplication means 'applied over' but why does it mean this?
No it doesn't, it means multiplication. Examples where the words "applied over" don't fit:
  • Force = mass times acceleration ## (F = m a ) ##
  • Potential difference = current times resistance ## (V = IR) ##
  • Area = width times height

Also, division just means division. Examples where the concept of a rate "per" somthing doesn't fit:
  • Newtonian gravity ## \frac{GMm}{r^2} ##
  • Current = potential difference divided by resistance ## \left ( I = \frac V R \right ) ##
  • Frequency = wave speed divided by wavelength ## \left ( f = \frac v \lambda \right )##

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71, nasu, Ibix and 2 others
Haris045 said:
Summary: how and why can multiplication combine physical quantities to form a new physical quantity, to make an equation?

I am on a journey to not just understand how to manipulate physics equations but to understand why they work , and how they describe physical phenomena.

Many students struggle with compound units for the very reason you mention- units seem to obey rules of multiplication and division, but while 3/5 is readily understood to be a number, feet/year is clearly not a number. And it gets worse- for example, the units of magnetic field are [mass]/[time* coulomb], whatever that means.

I tell my students ( college & univ. Intro physics) that units are a principal difference between science and math. Unit analysis helps in problem-solving strategies (all forms of energy have units ML2/T2, for example).

Does that help?

Likes PeroK
pbuk said:
Multiplication is an abstract operation, it cannot "do" anything in the real world.
Try saying that over in the Biology forum...

• Haha
Likes Vanadium 50 and kuruman
DaveC426913 said:
Try saying that over in the Biology forum...
Be fruitful and multiply?

Likes hutchphd and DaveC426913
Haris045 said:

I understand how division combines physical quantities.
[snip]

I understand what multiplication does numerically. But I don't understand how it can combine physical quantities to form a new one.
[snip]
I think one should not think of these operations as "forming new quantities."
Instead,
one should understand (for example)
  • the "work done by a constant force along a straight path" ##W## is a physical quantity
    that is proportional to the force along the path ##\vec F_x##
    and proportional to the displacement along the path ##\vec \Delta x##: thus, ##W=(F_x)(\Delta x)##.
  • Similarly, a "constant velocity"
    is proportional to the displacement traveled ##\Delta x##
    and inversely-proportional to the elapsed-time ##\Delta t##: thus, ##v=(\Delta x)\left(\frac{1}{\Delta t}\right)##.
(While one can perform the mathematical operation ##F_x (\Delta x)^3##,
it has no immediate physically-meaningful interpretation.)

Haris045 said:

In some situations,
where the quantity is an integral (a sum of products where one factor may be varying),
one uses the colloquial description "applied over".
For example, if (in the example above) the work done is due to a variable force,
one is trying to describe the force (a dependent variable) as the position (an independent variable) varies.
But, as mentioned above by @pbuk, there are some situations where that is not the case.
(However, area could be described as a variable height along locations on the base.)

Likes PeroK

1. How does multiplication combine physical quantities?

Multiplication combines physical quantities by multiplying their numerical values. For example, if you have a length of 5 meters and a time of 2 seconds, multiplying them together gives you a distance of 10 meters. This is because multiplication represents repeated addition, and in this case, it is adding 5 meters to itself 2 times.

2. Why is multiplication used to combine physical quantities?

Multiplication is used to combine physical quantities because it allows us to express the relationship between two or more quantities in a single numerical value. This makes it easier to perform calculations and analyze the data.

3. Can multiplication be used to combine all types of physical quantities?

Yes, multiplication can be used to combine all types of physical quantities as long as they have the same units. For example, you can multiply two lengths, two masses, or two times together, but you cannot multiply a length and a time together.

4. How do you determine the units of the product when multiplying physical quantities?

The units of the product when multiplying physical quantities are determined by the units of the individual quantities being multiplied. For example, if you are multiplying a length of 5 meters by a time of 2 seconds, the product will have the units of meters times seconds, or meters per second.

5. What is the significance of using multiplication to combine physical quantities in scientific calculations?

The significance of using multiplication to combine physical quantities in scientific calculations is that it allows us to accurately represent and manipulate the relationships between different quantities. This is essential in scientific research and experiments, as it helps us understand the physical world and make predictions about how it will behave.