Manipulating quantities with natural units

In summary, the conversation is about the use of natural units and the validity of converting between different units and their numerical coefficients. The speaker is wondering if it is acceptable to move values between units and their coefficients, and presents an example using joules and light-seconds. The conversation also touches on the importance of considering units as part of the overall quantity.
etotheipi
I'm only really just learning how natural units work so forgive me if this seems like a silly question.

I was just wondering if someone could verify whether the following line of reasoning is valid (I will use joules instead of electron volts just so we can ignore the e conversion factor for now). I'm just going to convert say 5J into a mass.

I first set c to 1 light second per second. Then noting that $$m = \frac{E}{c^{2}}$$ I say that $$m = \frac{5J}{(1 ls s^{-1})^{2}} = 5 \frac{J}{(ls s^{-1})^{2}}$$ Though this is an ugly unit so I'll just write it as $$5 \frac{J}{c^{2}}$$ When I feel like converting back into SI units, this is equivalent to $$5 \frac{J}{(3*10^{8} m s^{-1})^{2}}=\frac{5}{(3*10^{8})^{2}} \frac{J}{(m s^{-1})^{2}}=\frac{5}{(3*10^{8})^{2}} \frac{kg m^{2} s^{-2}}{(m s^{-1})^{2}}=\frac{5}{(3*10^{8})^{2}} kg$$

The logic seems ok to me when I consider the unit to be just as important a part of the overall quantity as the numerical value preceding it and so I treat it just like a normal algebraic variable.

I guess the main point of my question is whether we can move values between the units and their numerical 'coefficients' so to speak. So something like $$300 MeV / c^{2}$$ can be rearranged to $$\frac{300}{(3*10^{8})^2} \frac{MeV}{(m s^{-1})^{2}}$$ and so on.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello.
etotheipi said:
I guess the main point of my question is whether we can move values between the units and their numerical 'coefficients' so to speak.
It seems OK to me as in plain case,
[tex]300\ km/h=300\times 1000 \ m/h = 300/3600 \ km/s[/tex]

Likes etotheipi
If you use light-second as the unit of length, then you must also use it in your unit of energy.
[Energy] = ML2T-2
(Joule uses meter as the unit of length.)

1. What are natural units?

Natural units are a system of measurement in which fundamental physical constants, such as the speed of light or the Planck constant, are set to a value of 1, making them dimensionless. This simplifies calculations and removes the need for conversion factors.

2. How are natural units used in scientific research?

Natural units are often used in theoretical physics and other areas of research to simplify equations and make them more elegant. They can also reveal hidden relationships between different physical quantities.

3. What are the advantages of using natural units?

Using natural units eliminates the need for conversion factors and allows for more intuitive understanding of physical quantities. It also simplifies calculations and can reveal underlying symmetries in equations.

4. Are there any limitations to using natural units?

One limitation of natural units is that they are not always applicable to real-world measurements, as they do not take into account factors such as human perception or the scale of the universe. They are also not universally accepted and can vary depending on the field of study.

5. Can natural units be converted to standard units?

Yes, natural units can be converted to standard units by using the appropriate conversion factors. However, this defeats the purpose of using natural units in the first place, which is to simplify calculations and reveal underlying relationships between physical quantities.