1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Comparison of Improper Integrals

1. Oct 1, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For what values of p does the following integral converge or diverge?

3. The attempt at a solution

I have graphed y=[tex]\frac{1}{x[ln(x)]^{p}}[/tex] for different values of p (negative, zero, positive), and it looks as though in all three cases the integral converges.

However, when I found the antiderivatives of [tex]\frac{1}{x[ln(x)]^{p}}[/tex] for

When taking the limits of the antiderivatives as x approaches infinity, it appears that for any value of p the integral will diverge.

I'm doing something wrong here, so any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2008 #2
    [tex]\int^{\infty}_{2}\frac{dx}{x[ln(x)]^{p}}[/tex] sub [tex]u=lnx=>du=\frac{dx}{x}[/tex]

[tex]\int^{\infty}_2\frac{du}{u^p}=\frac{u^{1-p}}{1-p}|^{\infty}_{2}=\frac{(lnx)^{1-p}}{1-p}}|^{\infty}_{2}[/tex] Now what u need to do is:

[tex]\lim_{b\rightarrow \infty}\frac{(lnx)^{1-p}}{1-p}}|^{b}_{2}=\frac{1}{1-p}\lim_{b\rightarrow \infty}[(ln(b))^{1-p}-(ln2)^{1-p}][/tex]

and see for what values of p this limit gives u a nr.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?