1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Comparison of internal energies: hot nail versus beaker of water

1. Oct 29, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A nail is heated in a bunsen burner flame and is about to be dropped into a beaker of water at room temperature.

a) Which of the two substances (nail or water) would you expect to initially have:

i) the highest internal energy
    ii) the highest average kinetic energy

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

for my answer
    i) the highest internal energy (to me, it was nail)
    ii) the highest average kinetic energy (to me, it was water)

I checked the answers, my logic is wrong, so I have decided to come here to ask why and the reasons

Thanks everyone!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2016 #2
    i) I think nail .
    iii) <W>~T because temperature of nail is higher than water.

4. Oct 29, 2016 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Have a think about the factors that effect the internal energy. It's not just the temperature.

5. Oct 29, 2016 #4
    I think the factors that effect the internal energy are the temperature and the degrees of freedoms. Metal has 6 degrees of freedom. I dont know about the liquid.

6. Oct 29, 2016 #5

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The energy required to heat something up depends on three things. The Temperature change is one.

Would it make a difference if it was an ocean of water?
    What would make a difference if the mass and temperature of the two objects were was the same?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted