Interpretation of Accelerometer Measurements

In summary, the accelerometer measured data that showed an impact test at drop height had an impact force that decreased over time.
ClapClap
I have performed an impact test on different football shin guards to assess their performance. I am however confused with the readings measured by the accelerometer I have used. The sensor was attached to a striking mass of 4.3 kg which was dropped at different heights.
The graph I have attached shows the data collected by the accelerometer (y-axis) versus the time (x-axis) for an impact test at drop height of 20 cm.
Can anyone help me understand how to read this data? (i assume the graph looks messy because they weight 'bounced off' the shin guard a few times).
How can I use this data to assess guards performance?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-02 at 06.15.24.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-02 at 06.15.24.png
    56.1 KB · Views: 590
Engineering news on Phys.org
The data will be difficult to use. Starting at time=0, you would expect it to instantly drop to zero as free fall begins. It slopes down linearly over a 10'th of a second. That is hard to explain. Then, when it first hits, the measurements are limited at about 32000. That is a serious problem. It makes it impossible to know how high it really went. I think you need an accelerometer with a wider range.

The accelerometer I used had a range of 2g. So you suggest 3g?
The physical impact begins when the acceleration hits the x-axis right? Does the pick of the graph represent the maximum indentation of the striking mass on the shin guard?

It's hard to guess how high the acceleration might get. 3g might not be enough either. I think it is safe to assume that the deepest indent came from the impact with the maximum acceleration. You might get an estimate of the maximum acceleration by calculating how much acceleration would go from the falling speed to 0.0 in the distance of the deepest indent.

What falling speed? The one from the peak or the initial one?

So, the physical impact between the two bodies occurs between time 154 to 198 yea? Say i consider the data recorded from 154 to the peak, if i integrate it once I would get the velocity vs time graph, and if i integrate that again I would get the deflection vs time graph right? So from there I'd be able to estimate the maximum deflection of the striking mass?

How can I estimate the impact force? Initially I thought of finding the g-force and then converting it into Newtons, but I am not sure if that is the impact force on the sin guard..

Sorry for so many questions, I have my viva presentation of my honorous project in a couple of days and I've been trying to figure out my results for ages without success

1. What is an accelerometer and how does it work?

An accelerometer is a device that measures the acceleration of an object. It works by using a small mass suspended by springs, which move in response to the acceleration of the object. This movement is then converted into an electrical signal that can be measured and interpreted.

2. How are accelerometer measurements interpreted?

Accelerometer measurements are interpreted by analyzing the acceleration data over time. This can include looking at changes in acceleration, the rate of acceleration, and the direction of acceleration. The data can also be compared to known patterns or models to determine the type of movement or activity being measured.

3. What are some common applications of accelerometer measurements?

Accelerometer measurements have a wide range of applications, including in sports and fitness tracking, navigation systems, and medical devices. They are also used in industrial settings for monitoring machinery and in transportation for measuring vehicle performance.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of accelerometer measurements?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of accelerometer measurements, including the sensitivity of the device, the position and orientation of the accelerometer, and external forces such as gravity or vibrations. It is important to calibrate the device and consider these factors when interpreting the data.

5. How can accelerometer measurements be used in research and scientific studies?

Accelerometer measurements can be used in research and scientific studies to collect and analyze data on movement patterns, physical activity levels, and other types of human or environmental motion. This data can provide valuable insights into health, performance, and other areas of study.