Compiling F77 w/Silverfrost FTN95

• Thread starter darkchild
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is having trouble compiling a Fortran 77 program using a software called FTN95. They are receiving an error message stating that FTN77 must be on the PATH. They have tried adding things to their PATH, but cannot find anything with "FTN77" in the name in the program folder. They are seeking suggestions for how to resolve this issue without having to download a different compiler.
darkchild
I cannot for the life of me compile a f77 program with this software. I always get the error:

FTN77 must be on the PATH.

I'm pretty sure I figured out how to add stuff to my PATH, but I looked in the program folder and I don't see anything with "FTN77" in the name, so I have no idea what to add to the path. According to the website, this program should compile ftn77.

Any ideas? I really don't want to download another compiler (especially since I tried downloading g77 and can't even get things unzipped).

Technology news on Phys.org
darkchild said:
I cannot for the life of me compile a f77 program with this software. I always get the error:

I'm pretty sure I figured out how to add stuff to my PATH, but I looked in the program folder and I don't see anything with "FTN77" in the name, so I have no idea what to add to the path. According to the website, this program should compile ftn77.

Any ideas? I really don't want to download another compiler (especially since I tried downloading g77 and can't even get things unzipped).[/QUOT

first,start the ftn95.exe
then paste the code from fortran f77 code or writ the code correctly ,saved the code in fixed format file type,build it,compile and run the program.

FTN95 can compile Fortran 77 code (Fortran 77 is a language standard). FTN77 is a Fortran 77 compiler and so FTN95 can compile the same code as FTN77. FTN95 is not FTN77 -- its FTN95!

So you can take any code that you compiled with FTN77 and compile it with FTN95.

darkchild said:

Any ideas? I really don't want to download another compiler (especially since I tried downloading g77 and can't even get things unzipped).

You haven't given us any information at all.

The command you need to give is something like:
FTN95 file.F77 /FIXED_FORMAT
or whatever suffix you have used on your file name.

Hello,

I understand your frustration with trying to compile your F77 program with Silverfrost FTN95. It sounds like you have already tried some troubleshooting steps, such as adding the program to your PATH and attempting to download another compiler.

My suggestion would be to reach out to the support team for Silverfrost FTN95. They should be able to provide you with more specific instructions on how to properly add FTN77 to your PATH and troubleshoot any potential issues. They may also be able to provide you with additional resources or troubleshooting tips to help you successfully compile your program.

In the meantime, you may also want to double check that you have downloaded the correct version of Silverfrost FTN95 for your operating system and that you have all necessary dependencies installed. Sometimes, small issues like this can be easily resolved by checking the details and requirements of the software.

I hope you are able to resolve this issue and successfully compile your F77 program. Don't hesitate to reach out to the support team for further assistance. Good luck!

What is Silverfrost FTN95?

Silverfrost FTN95 is a Fortran compiler developed by Silverfrost Ltd. It is used for compiling programs written in the Fortran 77 programming language.

How do I compile F77 code with Silverfrost FTN95?

To compile F77 code with Silverfrost FTN95, you can use the FTN95 command line interface or the integrated development environment (IDE). Both methods require you to specify the source code file(s) and any necessary compilation options.

Can I use Silverfrost FTN95 on any operating system?

No, Silverfrost FTN95 is only available for Windows operating systems. It is compatible with Windows 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 10.

What are the advantages of using Silverfrost FTN95 for compiling F77 code?

Silverfrost FTN95 offers several advantages for compiling F77 code, including improved performance, better error handling, and compatibility with modern operating systems. It also supports many F77 language extensions and includes a comprehensive library of functions and subroutines.

Can I use Silverfrost FTN95 for free?

Yes, Silverfrost FTN95 offers a free personal edition for non-commercial use. However, if you plan to use it for commercial purposes, you will need to purchase a license. The personal edition has some limitations, such as a smaller maximum program size and limited support for certain features and libraries.