Completely confused about differential equation notation

In summary: Q = e^{-{\frac{1}{RC}}t}cNow I'm not sure what to do with c, as I do not know what Q_0 means, but if anyone can elaborate, that would help. Also, I do not think that it is necessary to isolate Q' before proceeding with solving, as we are not solving for Q'. We need to solve for Q, and as long as the equation is in the form Q' + P(t)Q = R(t) we should be fine. Thanks!In summary, the equation provided is a differential equation with an initial condition. It includes variables such as R, C, and Q, which are constants. The integrating factor is CR, and after multiplying
darryw

Homework Statement

I just finished solving about 10 different DEs, but this one has me totally confused. It says:
(R)dQ/dt + (Q/C) = 0, with initial condition Q(0) = Q_0?

Most of the problems I've done thus far have looked like: y' + (2/t)y = (cost)/(t^2), with initial cond y(pi) = 0 and t>0 for example.

So then the RdQ/dt problem is confusing me. I mean, dQ, dt, R, C and Q.. How am I supposed to solve this? Please clarify what they are asking.. I can do these problems but there seems to be 3 variables in this problem?? please help, thanks

Also, shouldn't the correct notation put the R in front of dQ/dt? so it should look like dQ/dt (R) + Q(1/C) = 0 ??

Homework Equations

Specifically, if you could show me how this: (R)dQ/dt + (Q/C) = 0 , is similar to this: y' + p(x)y = q(x) .. I know that y' is the same thing as dy/dx, so is dQ/dt the same as saying Q' ? and if so, then R is the variable right? If that is true then what is C??

The Attempt at a Solution

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In this equation, R and C are constants, really no different than the constant '2' in your example: y' + (2/t)y = (cost)/(t^2). Treat them as constants and find Q as a function of t. Your answer for Q(t) will contain R and C.

darryw said:

Homework Statement

I just finished solving about 10 different DEs, but this one has me totally confused. It says:
(R)dQ/dt + (Q/C) = 0, with initial condition Q(0) = Q_0?

Most of the problems I've done thus far have looked like: y' + (2/t)y = (cost)/(t^2), with initial cond y(pi) = 0 and t>0 for example.

So then the RdQ/dt problem is confusing me. I mean, dQ, dt, R, C and Q.. How am I supposed to solve this? Please clarify what they are asking.. I can do these problems but there seems to be 3 variables in this problem?? please help, thanks

Homework Equations

Specifically, if you could show me how this: (R)dQ/dt + (Q/C) = 0 , is similar to this: y' + p(x) = q(x) .. I know that y' is the same thing as dy/dx, so is dQ/dt the same as saying Q' ? and if so, then R is the variable right? If that is true then what is C??

I am inclined to think that R and C are constants as in a circuit, R is resistance and C is capaciatnce.

But it becomes the same as (R)Q'+(1/C)Q=0 with R and C as constants.

Thanks alot.. this really helped.. i just get accustomed to a pattern and i couldn't see the equation any other way.

Can someone please check my work?? ( i put my specific questions in parenthesis after each step) Thanks.

(R)dQ/dt + (Q/C) = 0, with initial condition Q(0) = Q_0

(R)Q' + (1/C)Q = 0

Q' + (1/CR)Q = 0 (is it always necessary to isolate Q' like this before i proceed with solving?)

mu(x) = e^(integ(1/CR))

mu(x) = CR (natural log cancels the exponent, right?)

(then i multiplied by my integrating factor...

(CRQ)' = integ (0)

then i integrate with respect to t...

CRQ = t + c

Q = (1/CR)(t+c)

apply initial conditions of Q(0) = Q_0

Q_0 = (1/CR)(0+c)

if this is all correct so far, then i am unclear as to how to finish.. i mean, do i solve for c and then apply that to the origical DE?

darryw said:
Can someone please check my work?? ( i put my specific questions in parenthesis after each step) Thanks.

(R)dQ/dt + (Q/C) = 0, with initial condition Q(0) = Q_0

(R)Q' + (1/C)Q = 0

Q' + (1/CR)Q = 0 (is it always necessary to isolate Q' like this before i proceed with solving?)

Well we try to make it into a recognizable form

Q'+P(t)Q= R(t) or using whatever symbols you are comfortable with

darryw said:
mu(x) = e^(integ(1/CR))

mu(x) = CR (natural log cancels the exponent, right?)

Remember C and R are constants, so μ=∫(1/CR) dt = (1/CR) ∫1 dt = ?

That is your integrating factor. Now you multiply by μ throughout in the DE.

Remember that in the circuit, resistance R and capacitance C is not changing with time or anything.

OK so integrating factor is actually mu(x) = (1/CR) integ 1 dt = t/CR
so applying this new factor...
((t/CR)Q)' = (0)

integrate both sides..

(t/CR)Q = 0 (because integral of zero is zero with no c leftover)

but when i divide through by (t/CR), i end up with :

Q = 0

this doesn't seem right?

Last edited:
darryw said:
OK so integrating factor is actually mu(x) = (1/CR) integ 1 dt = t/CR
so applying this new factor...
((t/CR)Q)' = (0)

integrate both sides..

(t/CR)Q = 0 (because integral of zero is zero with no c leftover)

but when i divide through by (t/CR), i end up with :

Q = 0

this doesn't seem right?

remember that if you differentiate a constant you will get zero. So is the right side really just zero?

Sorry to post so late, but I came across this in a google search and I think it will benefit others if I post. I believe I have the general solution for the problem, I cannot however plug in the initial condition as I'm not sure what Q_0 means in relation to the question, but anyway here is what I calculated :

[tex]R\frac{dQ}{dt} + \frac{1}{C}Q = 0[/tex]

Dividing through by R gives :

[tex]\frac{dQ}{dt} + \frac{1}{RC}Q = 0[/tex]

Now as posted by other people, [tex]\frac{1}{RC}[/tex] is a constant just like 2,3 and any integer you can think of. So when finding the integrating factor, it is necessary to remember that we are integrating with respect to t, not R or C :

[tex]Integrating Factor = e^{\int{\frac{1}{RC}}dt} = e^{{\frac{1}{RC}}t}[/tex]

Now we multiply both sides of the differential equation by the integrating factor:

[tex]e^{{\frac{1}{RC}}t}\frac{dQ}{dt} + e^{{\frac{1}{RC}}t}\frac{1}{RC}Q = 0[/tex]

Now we integrate both sides with the respect to t :

[tex]e^{{\frac{1}{RC}}t}Q = \int 0\,dt = c [/tex]

where [tex]c[/tex] is the constant of integration.

Finally, we get the equation in terms of Q by dividing both sides by the integrating factor:

[tex]Q = \frac{c}{e^{{\frac{1}{RC}}t}} [/tex]

Hope this helps, bye for now.

1. What is the purpose of differential equation notation?

Differential equation notation is used to describe the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used in mathematical models to represent how a system changes over time.

2. What is the difference between ordinary and partial differential equations?

Ordinary differential equations involve only one independent variable, while partial differential equations involve multiple independent variables. Partial differential equations are typically used to describe systems in multiple dimensions.

3. Why are there so many different notations for derivatives in differential equations?

Different notations for derivatives in differential equations have been developed over time by different mathematicians and scientists. Each notation has its own advantages and is used in different contexts or fields of study.

4. How do I know which notation to use in a specific situation?

It is important to understand the context and purpose of the differential equation before selecting a notation. In some cases, a specific notation may be required for a particular application or field of study. It is also helpful to be familiar with the commonly used notations in your field of study.

5. Can I use different notations interchangeably in a single differential equation?

In general, it is not recommended to mix different notations in a single differential equation. This can lead to confusion and errors in solving the equation. It is best to stick to one notation throughout the equation.