COMPLETELY unacceptable (rant) - Win XP reboot behaviour

• Thread starter Curious3141
  • Start date
In summary: I'm just wondering how many other people's work was interrupted this way.:biggrin:In summary, Windows XP automatically installed an important security update without user consent, causing many files to be lost.
Curious3141
Homework Helper
I am very angry right now. I had set my Win XP to download but *not* install any security updates without my say-so. When I returned from work today, what do I find but a rebooted computer, with a cutesy little bubble telling me that Windoze had seen fit to install an important security update and reboot automatically! I lost some important file transfers because of this unexpected reboot. But more than that, I'm feeling thoroughly violated, because M$ has really crossed a line here. What the heck gives them the right to restart my computer when they feel like it, especially since I've expressly forbidden them from doing so?!

It's not just me, BTW, many users and even server admins are up in arms about this. M$ has been engaging in this sort of "proactive" updating for quite a while now. Look, Gates, my PC is my property, and I *paid in full* for your shoddy OS. Don't you think I'm entitled to decide when to reboot my own system?! I'm going with Linux full time after this little outrage.

Anyone else fed up with this like I am?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I keep automatic updates turned off. I used to go even further and disable the service, but windowsupdate.com requires it to use it.

heh, if it wasn't for my LAN parties i'd be a full linux user a long time ago..

there's a funny kill bill game out there - maybe it'll make you feel better :biggrin:

though now we should all be cursing steve balmer, the new guy...

same here to both the replies

im fed up with the whole of windows

especialy the fact that in home youcant play games on a limeted acount and you can't edit the acount from a Admin acount to let it work, how anoying!

PC support, where I work has a nasty habit of doing this.
Without any help from Bill.

I just loved telling one of the top muckity mucks that I had to drop out of his online conference because PC support was rebooting my PC.

Hee Hee, life is good :rofl:

NoTime said:
I just loved telling one of the top muckity mucks that I had to drop out of his online conference because PC support was rebooting my PC.
:rofl:78910

This happened recently to me too. I had lots of documents and dev projects opened. I took a quick break and when I returned to my workstation I was surprised to see my computer restarted. I remembered being bugged by the restart windows prompt (which had a progress bar, that when elapses will restart by default) about twice which I canceled because I was in the middle of programming something. Fortunately I had everything saved.

1. What is "Win XP reboot behaviour" and why is it considered unacceptable?

"Win XP reboot behaviour" refers to the way in which the Windows XP operating system automatically restarts after a system crash or error. This can be frustrating for users as it interrupts their work and can result in loss of unsaved data. It is considered unacceptable because it does not give the user a chance to save their work or troubleshoot the issue before the system restarts.

2. What causes the "Win XP reboot behaviour"?

The "Win XP reboot behaviour" is caused by a default setting in the Windows XP operating system that automatically restarts the system after a critical error or crash. This setting is intended to prevent the system from becoming completely unresponsive, but it can be problematic for users who are trying to troubleshoot and fix the issue causing the error.

3. Can the "Win XP reboot behaviour" be disabled?

Yes, the "Win XP reboot behaviour" can be disabled by adjusting the system's advanced settings. This can be done by going to the Control Panel, selecting System, clicking on the Advanced tab, and then clicking on the Settings button under the Startup and Recovery section. From there, uncheck the box next to "Automatically restart" and click OK. This will prevent the system from automatically rebooting after a critical error or system crash.

4. Are there any risks associated with disabling the "Win XP reboot behaviour"?

Disabling the "Win XP reboot behaviour" may result in the system becoming completely unresponsive in the event of a critical error or crash. This means that the user will need to manually restart the system in order to troubleshoot and fix the issue. Additionally, if the system is left unattended and a critical error occurs, it may not be able to recover on its own and could potentially cause damage to the system.

5. Is there a better solution for dealing with the "Win XP reboot behaviour"?

Yes, instead of completely disabling the "Win XP reboot behaviour," users may want to consider adjusting the settings so that the system does not automatically restart, but instead displays a blue screen with an error message. This will give the user the chance to write down the error code and research it for a solution, without the risk of the system becoming completely unresponsive. This can be done by following the same steps as disabling the reboot behaviour, but selecting "Kernel memory dump" under the Write debugging information section instead of "None."