1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Complex Analysis-Analytic Functions

1. Jun 14, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove or find a proper counterexample:
    There exists an analytic function f(z) in a pierced neighborhood of z=0 (i.e a neighborhood of z=0 , which doesn't contain z=0) which satisfies: [tex] f^3 (z) = z^2 [/tex].

2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Got no clue...

Hope you'll be able to help me

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

If, by [itex]f^3(z)[/itex], you mean [itex](f(x))^3[/itex] and not [itex]f(f(f(x)))[/itex], then all you need to do is show that [itex]f(x)= z^{2/3}[/itex] is analytic everywhere except at z= 0.

4. Jun 14, 2010 #3
    Actually, it's excatly what I mean, but why the function you gave isn't analytic at 0?
    It's actually an entire function...isn't it?

Thanks

5. Jun 14, 2010 #4

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

I didn't say it wasn't- but your problem was to determine if "There exists an analytic function f(z) in a pierced neighborhood of z=0 (i.e a neighborhood of z=0 , which doesn't contain z=0)".

If such a function is analytic everywhere it is certainly analytic in that neighborhood!

But what make you so certain [itex]z^{2/3}[/itex] is analytic at z= 0? It's derivative does not exist there!

6. Jun 14, 2010 #5
    I think the problem here is to show that you can't have such a function, the best you can do is cut away a branch cut line. Just omitting the point z = 0 is not enough.

I think the proof has to use the integral of the derivative of the function and then show that this integral around the point z = 0 is not zero.

7. Jun 15, 2010 #6
    Thanks ... I'll try this...

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook