1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Analysis and Mobius Transformation.

1. Oct 27, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If [itex]\phi \in \mathcal{M} [/itex] (group of all linear fractional transformations or Mobius Transformations has three fixed points, then it must be the identity. (The proof should exploit the fact that [itex]\mathcal{M} [/itex] is a group.

3. The attempt at a solution

Hi all,

So the book I'm reading is "Complex Made Simple" by David C. Ullrich. and this is Exercise 8.5 if anyone has done this.

Anyway this is what I was thinking.

Let [itex]\phi_j \in \mathcal{M} [/itex] where [itex] j = 1,2[/itex] and let [itex]\phi_j(z_i) = z_i [/itex] for [itex] i = 1,2,3[/itex]

So we see that [itex] z_i = \phi_{j}^{-1}(z_i)[/itex], we know that [itex]\phi_{j}^{-1}[/itex] since their elements of the group [itex] \mathcal{M} [/itex]

My question would be this, if I define a map [itex]\phi = \phi_{2}^{-1} \circ \phi_{1}[/itex] and show that that [itex]\phi_1 = \phi_2[/itex] is that enough to show that [itex]\phi[/itex] is the identity?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2013 #2
    I think it is because the identity element and the inverse element is unique.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted