Application of Schwarz Lemma-Complex Analysis

In summary, the problem at hand involves showing that if a function f is holomorphic in a unit disk and bounded by a constant M, and if it has zeros at certain points z_k, then it can be bounded by a certain expression involving those points and the unit disk. This can be solved using the Schwarz-Pick Lemma, which is listed as number 3 in the given source.
I Love Math
Application of Schwarz Lemma--Complex Analysis

Let f be holomorphic in D = {z: |z| < 1} and suppose that |f(z)| ≤ M for all z in D.

If f(z[itex]_{k}[/itex]) = 0 for 1 ≤ k ≤ n, show that

|f(z)| ≤ M [itex]\prod |z - z_{k}|/|1 - \bar{z_{k}}z|[/itex] for k = 1 to n and |z| < 1.

I am just very confused about how to begin this problem. We know that f is bounded and holomorphic, and I feel like Schwarz's lemma is relevant here, and maybe a Mobius transformation. Any help in getting me started would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

I Love Math said:
Let f be holomorphic in D = {z: |z| < 1} and suppose that |f(z)| ≤ M for all z in D.

If f(z[itex]_{k}[/itex]) = 0 for 1 ≤ k ≤ n, show that

|f(z)| ≤ M [itex]\prod |z - z_{k}|/|1 - \bar{z_{k}}z|[/itex] for k = 1 to n and |z| < 1.

I am just very confused about how to begin this problem. We know that f is bounded and holomorphic, and I feel like Schwarz's lemma is relevant here, and maybe a Mobius transformation. Any help in getting me started would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I think you're right, yet I feel that what you want is actually the Schwarz-Pick Lemma, which you can find in number 3 in [1]

DonAntonio

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwarz_lemma#Schwarz.E2.80.93Pick_theorem

Related to Application of Schwarz Lemma-Complex Analysis

What is the Schwarz lemma in complex analysis?

The Schwarz lemma is a theorem in complex analysis that states that any holomorphic function on the unit disk in the complex plane is either a constant function or its absolute value is bounded by 1. It is a fundamental result in the study of analytic functions and has many important applications.

What are some applications of the Schwarz lemma?

The Schwarz lemma has many applications in complex analysis, including its use in proving the maximum modulus principle, the open mapping theorem, and the Riemann mapping theorem. It also has applications in differential geometry and number theory.

Can the Schwarz lemma be extended to other domains?

Yes, the Schwarz lemma can be extended to other domains in the complex plane, such as the unit ball or polydisc. It can also be extended to higher dimensions in complex analysis, known as the Schwarz-Pick lemma.

What is the relationship between the Schwarz lemma and the Cauchy integral formula?

The Schwarz lemma and the Cauchy integral formula are closely related, as the Schwarz lemma can be used to prove the Cauchy integral formula. The Cauchy integral formula is a powerful tool for evaluating complex integrals and finding the values of analytic functions at specific points.

Are there any variations of the Schwarz lemma?

Yes, there are several variations of the Schwarz lemma, including the Ahlfors-Schwarz lemma, which gives a quantitative bound on the difference between an analytic function and a rotation of a conformal map. There is also the Caratheodory-Schwarz lemma, which relates to the convexity of analytic functions in the complex plane.