1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex analysis: Find a function that maps z1 and z2 onto w1 and w2

1. Apr 2, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What is the function (linear transformation) that maps [tex]z_{1} = 2[/tex] and [tex]z_{2} = -3i[/tex] onto [tex]w_{1} = 1+i[/tex] and [tex]w_{2} = 3[/tex]?

I think it's asking for the function that if you put 2 in it, it should give 1+i, and if you put -3i in the same function, it should give 3.

The answer given at the back of the book is [tex]w=f(z)=\frac{3+2i}{13}z + \frac{7+9i}{13}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

Maybe these would help:

[tex]x = \frac{z + \overline{z} }{2}[/tex] and [tex]y = \frac{z - \overline{z} }{2i}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no idea how to even start. The horrible book I am using doesn't give a clue. One possible way is to see what do we have to [tex]z_{1} = 2[/tex] to get [tex]1+i[/tex]. The answer is: [tex]-1+i[/tex] , but we can't add this to [tex]z_{2} = -3i[/tex], since that would give us [tex]1-2i[/tex] whereas we must get 3. Is there any other way to find out?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The textbook's answer gives f(z) as a linear polynomial with complex coefficients, which is one way to represent this function. It gives the right results for the two given complex numbers.

Edit: Scratch part of what I said. The formula gives the right result for 2 + i, but not the right result for -3i.

Another way to approach this problem is to use linear transformations, and treat complex numbers as vectors in R2.

From the given information, T(2) = T(<2, 0>T) = <1, 1>T, and
    T(-3i) = T(<0, -3>T) = <3, 0>T.

Using the properties of linear transformations, it's easy to find T(<1, 0>T) and T(<0, 1>T). That means that you can find T(a + bi) = T(<a, b>T) = aT(<1, 0>T) + bT(<0, 1>T), for any complex number a + bi.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  4. Apr 2, 2010 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you mean w2=1. Double check the book. A linear function is f(z)=a*z+b for complex constants a and b. Just put in the given values and solve the two simultaneous equations for a and b.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  5. Apr 2, 2010 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Dick is right. If w2 is 3, then the formula given as an answer is wrong.

6. Apr 4, 2010 #5
    Yes, you're right. w2 is 1, not 3. I'll try to use the method you've given here. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook