1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Complex Analysis] Finding a conformal map

1. Jun 22, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have to find a conformal map from [tex]\Omega = \{ z \in \mathbb C | -1 < \textrm{Re}(z) < 1 \} [/tex]
    to the unit disk D(0,1)

2. Relevant equations
    an analytical function f is conformal in each point where the derivative is non-vanishing
    specifically, we can think of linear fractionals/mobius transformations, which are conformal everywhere and determined by the image of three numbers

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've busted my brain on this one, but I can't think of anything that will transform these two vertical boundary lines into something useful. Note that I do not have to transform it to the unit disk; also a half/quarter-plane, a disk with a slit cut out, half a disk, will do, as I already know (from previous exercises) conformal transformations from those sets to the unit disk

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you take the set {z : 0<Im(z)<pi} then exp(z) maps that strip into the upper half plane, right? That's a lot like your problem.

4. Jun 22, 2011 #3
    Oh jeesh I can't believe I didn't see that x_x

Let's hope I get all the stupidity out before the exam

Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook