[Complex Analysis] prove non-existence of conformal map

Homework Statement

"Show that there is no conformal map from D(0,1) to \mathbb C"
and D(0,1) means the (open) unit disk

Homework Equations

Conformal maps preserve angles

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't have a clue. I thought the clou might be that D(0,1) has a boundary, and C doesn't, so I tried to draw some circles/lines on D(0,1) that couldn't be imaged onto C whilst preserving angles, but to no avail.

Homework Statement

Answers and Replies

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I'm guessing you mean a bijective function. Then the inverse map would map C to D(0,1). Think about what you might conclude from that.

Last edited:
Oh, does a conformal map have to be bijective?

(in that case: the inverse would be bounded ==(Liouville)==> constant, contradiction)
(Now I'm also assuming differentiability! So does a conformal map have to be bijective AND/OR analytical?)

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Oh, does a conformal map have to be bijective?

(in that case: the inverse would be bounded ==(Liouville)==> constant, contradiction)
(Now I'm also assuming differentiability! So does a conformal map have to be bijective AND/OR analytical?)
You ask good questions. Those are the questions I was asking myself after I posted. Looking things up, indeed a map in C is conformal iff it's analytic and it has a nonzero derivative. I'm still working on justifying my reckless post. Anything in your course to help?

the confusing this: in my course itself (the free course by ash & novinger), it says a conformal map only has to be locally invertible (which is actually a consequence of the non-vanishing derivative). But in pen I had written down that a conformal map is a bijection (and the way it was written makes me think it was dictated by the professor)