1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mobius transformation for the first quadrant

1. Sep 5, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the images of the following region in the z-plane onto the w-plane under the linear fractional transformations

The first quadrant ##x > 0, y > 0## where ##T(z) = \frac { z -i } { z + i }##

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So for this, I looked at the poles of ##T(z)## first and found that ##z = -i## does not lie on the lines that bound the first quadrant i.e ## x = 0 ## and ## y = 0 ##. Since the image of a line is either a line or a circle, I deduced that the image is a circle since the singularity does not lie on the lines.

Upon substituting ## z = 0 ## and ## z = 1 ## where both are points on the bounding lines, I obtained ## T(0) = -1 ## and ## T(1) = -i ## leading me to believe that it in fact the unit circle (Exterior or interior can be found out later)

However, because it's a mapping of only the FIRST quadrant, intuitively I think the image is the semi-circle but I'm unsure how to show this. If I were to substitute ## z = -1 ## into T(z), I obtain ## T(z) = i ## which gives me the hunch that it's the upper half unit circle (since ## z = -1 ## is not in the first quadrant. I don't think this is enough.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2016 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

Show:
    (1) If [itex]x > 0[/itex] then [itex]|T(x)| = 1[/itex] and [itex]T(x)[/itex] lies in the lower half plane.
    (2) If [itex]y > 0[/itex] then [itex]-1 < T(iy) < 1[/itex].
    (3) T(1 + i) lies in the lower half plane and [itex]|T(1 + i)| < 1[/itex].

4. Sep 6, 2016 #3
    For the first one, I've shown that ## T(x) ## (for any value of ## x > 0 ##) takes the form ## \frac { x^2 - 1 } { x^2 + 1 } - \frac { 2x } { x^2 + 1 } i ##, meaning the v-value in the w-plane will always be negative for any ## x > 0 ##

I'm not so sure about the 2nd one. ## T(iy) ## yields ## \frac { i(y - 1) } { i(y + 1) }##. Not sure how to proceed after canceling the ## i ##s

However, I've managed to do the third one. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted