Complex analysis quick problem

In summary, when showing that df/dz = V_x - iV_y for an analytic function f(z) = u(x,y) + iv(x,y), it is possible to use the limit definition of df/dz and choose h to be either a real number or a purely imaginary number. This results in the Cauchy-Riemann equations and shows that df/dz can be expressed as V_x - iV_y.
N00813

Homework Statement

f(z) = u(x, y) + iv(x, y)
where z ≡ x + iy. Let the fluid velocity be V = ∇u. If f(z) is analytic, show that
df/dz = V_x − iV_y

Homework Equations

V_x = du/dx
V_y = idu/dy

The CR equations du/dx = dv/dy, du/dy = -dv/dx.

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to use this form for d/dz: d/dz = d/dx - i*d/dy.
This gave me df/dz = 2(V_x - iV_y) though.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just to clarify before I try to work this out, V and v are different functions, correct?

I have no idea how you could possibly have got that "2". Please show your work.

HallsofIvy said:
I have no idea how you could possibly have got that "2". Please show your work.

V = grad(u); so V_x = du/dx and V_y = du/dy

df/dz = (d/dx - id/dy)(u+iv) = du/dx + i dv/dx - i du/dy + dv/dy

Using the CR equations, du/dx = dv/dy and du/dy = -dv/dx.

So df/dz = 2(du/dx) -2i(du/dy) = 2(V_x - iV_y).

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
Just to clarify before I try to work this out, V and v are different functions, correct?

Yes, from the question it appears they are different functions.

N00813 said:

Homework Statement

f(z) = u(x, y) + iv(x, y)
where z ≡ x + iy. Let the fluid velocity be V = ∇u. If f(z) is analytic, show that
df/dz = V_x − iV_y

Homework Equations

V_x = du/dx
V_y = du/dy

fixed.

The CR equations du/dx = dv/dy, du/dy = -dv/dx.

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to use this form for d/dz: d/dz = d/dx - i*d/dy.

That is not an acceptable choice for [itex]d/dz[/itex].

If [itex]f = u + iv[/itex] is analytic in a neighbourhood of [itex]z[/itex], then by definition the following limit exists, and is independent of how [itex]h \in \mathbb{C}[/itex] approaches zero: [tex]
\frac{df}{dz} = \lim_{h \to 0} \frac{f(z + h) - f(z)}{h} = \lim_{h \to 0} \frac{f(x + \mathrm{Re}(h), y + \mathrm{Im}(h)) - f(x,y)}{h}.
[/tex] Thus you can take [itex]h \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] so that [tex]
\frac{df}{dz} = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} + i \frac{\partial v}{\partial x},[/tex] but instead you can take [itex]h \in i\mathbb{R}[/itex] so that [tex]
\frac{df}{dz} = -i\frac{\partial f}{\partial y} = -i\frac{\partial u}{\partial y} + \frac{\partial v}{\partial y}[/tex] and since these are equal we must have [tex]
\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial v}{\partial y}, \qquad
\frac{\partial v}{\partial x} = -\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}[/tex] which are the Cauchy-Riemann equations.

One also has [tex]
\frac{df}{dz} = \lim_{h \to 0} \frac{f(x + \mathrm{Re}(h), y + \mathrm{Im}(h)) - f(x,y)}{h}\\ = \lim_{h \to 0} \frac{f(x + \mathrm{Re}(h), y + \mathrm{Im}(h)) - f(x, y + \mathrm{Im}(h))}{h} + \lim_{h \to 0}\frac{f(x, y + \mathrm{Im}(h)) - f(x,y)}{h} \\
= \lim_{h \to 0} \frac{\mathrm{Re}(h)}h \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} + \lim_{h \to 0} \frac{\mathrm{Im}(h)}h \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}.[/tex]

pasmith said:
fixed.

That is not an acceptable choice for [itex]d/dz[/itex].

If [itex]f = u + iv[/itex] is analytic in a neighbourhood of [itex]z[/itex], then by definition the following limit exists, and is independent of how [itex]h \in \mathbb{C}[/itex] approaches zero: [tex]
\frac{df}{dz} = \lim_{h \to 0} \frac{f(z + h) - f(z)}{h} = \lim_{h \to 0} \frac{f(x + \mathrm{Re}(h), y + \mathrm{Im}(h)) - f(x,y)}{h}.
[/tex] Thus you can take [itex]h \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] so that [tex]
\frac{df}{dz} = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} + i \frac{\partial v}{\partial x},[/tex] but instead you can take [itex]h \in i\mathbb{R}[/itex] so that [tex]
\frac{df}{dz} = -i\frac{\partial f}{\partial y} = -i\frac{\partial u}{\partial y} + \frac{\partial v}{\partial y}[/tex] and since these are equal we must have [tex]
\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial v}{\partial y}, \qquad
\frac{\partial v}{\partial x} = -\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}[/tex] which are the Cauchy-Riemann equations.

One also has [tex]
\frac{df}{dz} = \lim_{h \to 0} \frac{f(x + \mathrm{Re}(h), y + \mathrm{Im}(h)) - f(x,y)}{h}\\ = \lim_{h \to 0} \frac{f(x + \mathrm{Re}(h), y + \mathrm{Im}(h)) - f(x, y + \mathrm{Im}(h))}{h} + \lim_{h \to 0}\frac{f(x, y + \mathrm{Im}(h)) - f(x,y)}{h} \\
= \lim_{h \to 0} \frac{\mathrm{Re}(h)}h \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} + \lim_{h \to 0} \frac{\mathrm{Im}(h)}h \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}.[/tex]

I looked over my notes again, and apparently d/dz = 1/2 (d/dx - i d/dy).

From here, that would suggest [itex] \lim_{h \to 0} \frac{\mathrm{Re}(h)}h = \frac{1}{2} [/itex] and [itex]\lim_{h \to 0} \frac{\mathrm{Im}(h)}h= \frac{-i}{2}[/itex].

I can't think of how to get there, though.

1. What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of complex numbers and their functions. It is used to analyze and understand the behavior of functions that involve complex numbers.

2. How is complex analysis different from real analysis?

Complex analysis differs from real analysis in that it focuses on functions that have complex inputs and outputs, rather than just real numbers. It also involves the use of tools such as the Cauchy-Riemann equations and contour integration, which are not used in real analysis.

3. What are some applications of complex analysis?

Complex analysis has applications in many areas of mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used in the study of fluid dynamics, electromagnetic theory, and signal processing, among others. It also has applications in number theory and algebraic geometry.

4. What are some common techniques used in complex analysis?

Some common techniques used in complex analysis include contour integration, the residue theorem, and the Cauchy integral formula. Other techniques such as power series, Laurent series, and the Cauchy-Riemann equations are also frequently used.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in complex analysis?

To improve your problem-solving skills in complex analysis, it is important to have a strong understanding of the fundamental concepts and techniques. Practicing with a variety of problems and seeking help from experts or online resources can also be beneficial. Additionally, staying organized and breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts can help in solving problems effectively.