Complex Analysis - Sketch a curve

In summary, the conversation discusses sketching the curve in the z-plane and its image under w=z^2, given the equation |z-1|=1. The attempted solution involved sketching a circle in the z-plane and mapping it to a circle in the w-plane, but it was later realized that this only works for circles centered at the origin. The final shape obtained was a cardioid, and the conversation then focuses on finding an algebraic description for this shape.
kjartan

Homework Statement

sketch the curve in the z-plane and sketch its image under w=z^2

|z-1|=1

Homework Equations

z=|z|e^(iArgz)
argw=2argz

The Attempt at a Solution

At first I simply sketched the solution for a circle centered at (1,0) in the z-plane and then mapped that to another circle in the w-plane also centered at (1,0). Then I realized that mapping a circle to a circle under the squaring function only works for circles centered at the origin. So, what I have now is sort of ellipse-ish shaped, but I'm not sure how to characterize the solution set in general.

Any help appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the equation you get.

I don't have an equation at this point. Basically, I just plotted some points.

If theta is taken with respect to the origin, not the center of this circle, I identified the points on the original circle (before squaring) corresponding to +/- (0, pi/12, pi/8, pi/6, pi/4, pi/3) and then actually just calculated what happened to those points when squared, and plotted them.

That's why I'm asking here, I'm not sure how to characterize this in a better way.

Thanks for taking a look.

Update: after squaring, the image obtained is what is called a "cardioid shape" not "ellipse-ish."

Now that I have the shape, I am working "backwards" to obtain a description.

This confirms the shape:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardioid#Cardioids_in_complex_analysis

The rest is algebraic manipulation, so no further help is necessary.

Last edited:

1. What is complex analysis and how is it different from real analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of a complex variable. It differs from real analysis in that the variable in complex analysis is a complex number, which has both a real and imaginary component. In contrast, real analysis deals with functions of a real variable.

2. How do you sketch a curve in complex analysis?

To sketch a curve in complex analysis, we plot the real and imaginary parts of the function separately on the complex plane. The points where the function is equal to zero will form the curve on the plane. We can also use different techniques such as contour plots and polar plots to visualize the curve.

3. What are the key concepts in complex analysis?

The key concepts in complex analysis include analytic functions, Cauchy-Riemann equations, singularities, Laurent series, and residues. These concepts are used to study the behavior of complex functions and their curves on the complex plane.

4. How is complex analysis used in other fields of science?

Complex analysis has applications in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and computer science. It is used to solve problems involving vector calculus, fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and signal processing. In computer science, complex analysis is used in image processing, data compression, and cryptography.

5. What are some common applications of complex analysis in the real world?

Complex analysis has many practical applications in the real world, such as in designing electrical circuits, analyzing financial data, and predicting weather patterns. It is also used in medical imaging, creating computer graphics, and optimizing industrial processes. Additionally, complex analysis is used in theoretical physics to model complex systems and phenomena.