1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex analysis / Using analyticity of f to prove f is constant

1. Sep 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm supposed to show that, if [itex]f[/itex] is analytic and [itex]|f|[/itex] is constant on a domain [itex]D \subset \mathbb{C}[/itex], [itex]f[/itex] is constant.

2. Relevant equations
    The hint is to write [itex]f^* = |f|^2 / f[/itex]. I might also need to use the fact that if [itex]f^*[/itex] is analytic too, then [itex]f[/itex] is constant.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, I followed the hint, and I fail to see how it helps at all. Given the hypotheses of the problem, I guess we know [itex]f^* = A / f[/itex] for some [itex]A > 0[/itex], but this doesn't strike me as particularly useful. Writing [itex]f = u(x,y) + i v(x,y)[/itex] only seems to complicate things, but don't I eventually have to do this? I'm guessing I'm supposed to use the Cauchy-Riemann Equations together, in some way, with the fact (proved in my text) that if [itex]h(x,y)[/itex] is a real-valued function that satisfies [itex]\nabla h = 0[/itex] on a domain, then [itex]h[/itex] is constant on that domain. But taking partial derivatives and trying to use [itex]u_x = v_y[/itex] and [itex]u_y = -v_x[/itex] just makes things messy.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You've got all the ingredients in front of you. If f=u+iv is analytic then f*=(u-iv)=A/f is also analytic. Write out the Cauchy-Riemann equations for both f and f*. What do they tell you about the partial derivatives of u and v?

4. Sep 13, 2009 #3
    Right now, I've got a system of equations for [itex]f = u+iv[/itex]: (1) [itex]uu_x = vv_x[/itex] and (2) [itex]uu_y = vv_y[/itex]. These came from [itex]u^2 + v^2 = [/itex] Constant. But I've got to show that [itex]u_x = u_y = 0[/itex] from this and [itex]u_x = v_y[/itex], [itex]u_y = -v_x[/itex]. Any hints? I still can't quite get there...

5. Sep 13, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I already gave you a hint. f=u+iv and f*=u-iv are analytic. Use Cauchy-Riemann on both of them.

6. Sep 13, 2009 #5
    You did. Sorry. I'll do that :)

7. Sep 13, 2009 #6
    I figured it out. Thanks! That was very helpful.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  8. Jul 26, 2010 #7
    well i figured it out using the hint too,but i didn't have to use the fact that modulus of f is constant on D.i just used the cauchy-riemann eqns from f=u+iv;
    du/dx=dv/dy and from f*=u-iv; du/dx=-dv/dy hence du/dx =0, and found the partial derivatives to be zero and so f has to be constant.so where do we use the modulus of f being constant?is it when we show the analyticity of f*?
    maybe it's something like that if f is analytic then 1/f is also analytic so f*=a.1/f is also analytic where a is modulus of f.but i don't know anything about the analyticity of 1/f and can't we just prove it using u and v?
    -it became kind of long and sort of complicated so sorry if it's not understandable.

9. Jul 26, 2010 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, you use |f|=constant to prove f* is analytic. The problem is that |f| isn't generally an analytic function. A constant IS analytic.

10. Jul 26, 2010 #9

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You should know something about the analyticity of f! Just from the normal quotient rule that you have from real analysis

In general: If |f| is not constant, then it's probably not analytic. Also f* is almost never analytic, you just have a very special case here (in fact you can show that the function that takes z to its complex conjugate is not analytic)

11. Jul 26, 2010 #10
    yes,this is really easy with quotient rule.thanks for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook