1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex conjugate of a complicated function

1. Feb 25, 2014 #1
    Hi,

I know if we have a complex number z written as z = x +iy , with a and real, the complex conjugate is z* = x - iy. Also if we write a complex function f(z) = u(x,y) + iv(x,y), with u and v real valued, then similarly the complex conjugate of this function is f(z)* = u(x,y) - iv(x,y).

And if we have some complex numbers around a circle like z = i + exp(iΘ) then the conjugate of these numbers is z* = exp(-iΘ) - i.

It always seems like the way to conjugate something complex is to literally just 'put a minus in front of the i's ' ...but is this always the case?

Surely if we had some complicated function like g(x + iy) = [sin(x+iy) + iexp(cos(x-y))]^(-1) , we couldn't just replace the i's with (-i)'s? Seems like we'd have to convert the above to the form a + ib first.

If not - if it really is that elegant - is there a proof or something that it works in every case?

Thanks,

Matt

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Right.

Not always.

As an example, (1/z)* = 1/(z*), you don't have to calculate real and imaginary parts of 1/z here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook