Complex-Valued Functions, limits, and conjugates

In this case, L is an operator in an infinite dimensional space of functions. In summary, we discussed the representation of complex valued functions and how they can be split into their real and imaginary parts. We also looked at the limit of the conjugate of a function and concluded that it is equal to the conjugate of the limit of the function. We then discussed the behavior of derivatives of complex-valued functions at infinity and how it relates to hermitian operators. Lastly, we explored the concept of hermittivity and how it can be used to prove the hermiticity of operators in an infinite dimensional space.
mathsciguy
I have a question about complex valued functions, say f(z) where z=x+iy is a complex variable.
Can every such complex valued function be represented by:
f(z)=u(x,y)+iv(x,y)?

Also, is the limit of the conjugate such a function equal to the conjugate of the limit of the function?
Something like:
lim[conjugate[f]] (?)= conjugate[lim[f]]

Mathematics news on Phys.org
mathsciguy said:
I have a question about complex valued functions, say f(z) where z=x+iy is a complex variable.
Can every such complex valued function be represented by:
f(z)=u(x,y)+iv(x,y)?
Yes. You can always split a complex valued function into its real and imaginary parts. If you had f(z) as a function ℂ→ℂ, then you can define Re[f(z)]=u(z)=u(x,y) and Im[f(z)]=v(z)=v(x,y) for real-valued functions u and v.

You can even write the real parts and imaginary parts of a complex expression w in a way that is easier to manipulate: (I like to use the notation w* to denote the conjugate of w.)
Re[w] = (w+w*)/2
Im[w] = (w-w*)/2

Also, is the limit of the conjugate such a function equal to the conjugate of the limit of the function?
Something like:
lim[conjugate[f]] (?)= conjugate[lim[f]]
Let's apply the formula that you just suggested. We have:
[f(z)]*=[u(x,y) + i v(x,y)]* = u(x,y) - i v(x,y)

Therefore,
lim [(f(z))*]=lim[u(x,y) - i v(x,y)] = lim [u(x,y)] - lim [i v(x,y)] = lim[u(x,y))] - i lim[v(x,y)] = (lim[u(x,y)] + i lim[v(x,y)])*

Last edited:
Thanks, that's pretty straightforward huh.

Anyway, I wonder if you guys can answer a barely tangential question? Let's say I have a complex valued function f(x) of a real variable. If the limit f(x) as x-> infinity is zero, are the derivatives of f(x) as x-> infinity also zero?

Well, when you ask about the derivative of a complex-valued function, you usually want the derivative to be defined in a special way that makes it independent of the direction along which you take the derivative. (Unlike say taking the gradient of a real-valued function.) Functions of this sort are called analytic, and I do think that if an analytic function approaches 0 as z→∞, then its derivative must as well. [PS: on second thought, I'm not totally sure of this and I can't find a quick reference. Maybe somebody could clarify on this particular point.]

However there are (non-analytic) real valued functions which disobey that. Like for example look at the function f(x) = sin(x2)/x. Clearly it converges to 0 but what about its derivative? You can just stick a z instead of x and you've constructed complex function which disobeys your suggestion.

Last edited:
Hm, well, I also thought so. But see, I was trying to figure out how to show that an operator like L = i(d^3/dx^3) is hermitian for functions f(x) in the interval -(infinity)< x < (infinity) where as f approaches infinity, it also approaches zero. I tried using the straightforward method where I repeatedly do integration by parts but then I'd end up with boundary terms containing the derivatives of f at infinity (all the boundary terms should be zero, and L is hermitian).

Edit: Turns out I can just argue that since for the given boundary conditions, L = -i(d/dx) is hermitian, then L^3 = i(d^3/dx^3) is also hermitian.

Is it because:
if <f|L(g)> = <(L(f))|g> then <f|L^3(g)> = <L^3(f)|g> ?

Last edited:
Well, since it sounds like you're doing Quantum Mechanics, then in QM, when we deal with bound states (rather than scattering states), we typically do add the assumption that the wavefunction AND its first derivative approach zero at infinity. Here is the best reference I can find: http://www.colorado.edu/physics/phys3220/3220_fa97/notes/notes3/3220_notes3_1.html
This is one bit of mathematical trivia which often gets swept under the rug. There is a good discussion about this here:
http://mathoverflow.net/questions/1...aints-of-a-wave-function-in-quantum-mechanics

I'm not so sure about your proof in your last post. Let me write hermittivity like this: If L is hermitian then L=Lt, where Lt is the adjoint of L, defined as the conjugate transpose: Lt=(L*)T where T denotes the transpose.

So the way you would prove that L3 is hermitian, using the assumption that L is hermitian, would look something like this:

(L3)t|ψ>=Lt Lt Lt |ψ>
= L L L |ψ> = L3|ψ>

When you form matrix elements <φ|L|ψ>, you're usually not proving general things about the operators since you're projecting them onto a lower-dimensional subspace.

Thanks, I think that kind of proof is something I would think of if I was working with matrices.

1. What is a Complex-Valued Function?

A complex-valued function is a mathematical function that maps complex numbers to other complex numbers. It is a function of a complex variable, which can be written as z = x + iy, where x and y are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (√-1).

2. What is the limit of a Complex-Valued Function?

The limit of a complex-valued function is the value that the function approaches as the independent variable (usually denoted as z) approaches a certain value. It can be thought of as the value that the function "approaches" as it gets closer and closer to a specific point.

3. What is the conjugate of a Complex Number?

The conjugate of a complex number is found by changing the sign of the imaginary part. For example, the conjugate of z = 3 + 4i is z* = 3 - 4i. The conjugate is denoted with an asterisk (*).

4. How is the conjugate used in Complex-Valued Functions?

The conjugate is often used in complex-valued functions to simplify calculations and to find important properties such as the modulus (magnitude) and argument (angle) of a complex number. It is also used in the process of finding the limit of a complex-valued function.

5. What are some common examples of Complex-Valued Functions?

Some common examples of complex-valued functions include polynomial functions such as f(z) = z^2 + 3z + 5, trigonometric functions such as sin(z) and cos(z), exponential functions such as e^z, and logarithmic functions such as ln(z). These functions can have complex-valued inputs and outputs, making them examples of complex-valued functions.