1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Conjugate of the comb function

1. Dec 24, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is not exactly a HW problem but related to my thesis work where I am deriving an expression for the intensity of light after a particular spatial filtering. I have:

[itex]I(x) = \left[ comb(2x) \ast e^{i\Phi(x)} \right] \left[ comb^*(2x) \ast e^{-i\Phi(x)} \right] [/itex]
    Where [itex]comb(x) = \sum_{N=-\infty}^{\infty} \delta(x-N)[/itex], the symbol [itex]\ast[/itex] is the convolution operator, and [itex]\Phi(x)[/itex] is some arbitrary function of x.

2. Relevant equations
    Is the complex conjugate of the comb function the same as itself? I have not been able to find anything on the complex conjugate of the Dirac delta function or the comb function. I cannot see why it would be different but I am not sure.

3. The attempt at a solution
    My attempt at re-arranging the terms using commutative property of the convolution with the assumption that the complex conjugate of the comb function is itself yields:
    [itex]I(x) = comb^2(2x) \ast e^{i\Phi(x)} \ast e^{-i\Phi(x)} [/itex]

Now, isn't [itex]e^{i\Phi(x)} \ast e^{-i\Phi(x)} [/itex] just the auttcorrelation of [itex]e^{i\Phi(x)} [/itex]?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2013 #2

strangerep

Science Advisor

Write out the general defining equation of the delta distribution. How does it act on an arbitrary complex-valued function ##f(z)## ?

Careful! Your comb##^2## function would involve squares of the delta distribution, which is mathematically ill-defined.

Consider
    $$\Big(f(x) \ast g(x)\Big)\Big(a(x) \ast b(x)\Big).$$Write out both products separately as integrals. Then try to take the product. Also think carefully about what a product is in momentum space, and vice versa...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted