Problem finding the distribution of holes in a semiconductor

In summary: Also, I don't see how you get the term in the solution that has the "m" in it.In summary, the conversation is about finding the expression for the change in carrier density, denoted as Δp(x), in a long and thin sample of silicon that is illuminated by an intense optical source. The source can be described by a generation function that is a Dirac comb function with a period a. The temperature and certain parameters are given, and the goal is to find an expression for Δp(x). The attempt at a solution involves using the convection-diffusion equation and considering two portions of the sample separately. However, the solution obtained is not correct and may be missing a recombination term and some extra conditions
diredragon

Homework Statement

Long and thin sample of silicon is stationary illuminated with an intensive optical source which can be described by a generation function ##G(x)=\sum_{m=-\infty}^\infty Kδ(x-ma)## (Dirac comb function). Setting is room temperature and ##L_p## and ##D_p## are given. Find the expression ##Δp(x)=?##

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
The generation function is a dirac comb with a period a. I started with an idea to only use the generation function on it's main part, ##x \in [-a/2, a/2]##, where ##G(x)=Kδ(x)## and then the result would be periodic.

Using Convection-Diffusion equation:
##\frac{d^2(Δp)}{dx^2} - \frac{Δp}{L_p} = -\frac{G(x)}{D_p}## and from there i got two results, one for the first portion ##(-\infty, 0)## and one for the second portion ##(0, \infty)##:
##Δp_I=Ae^{\frac{x}{L_p}}##
##Δp_{II}=Be^{\frac{-x}{L_p}}##

To find the missing coefficients i use the fact that:
1) ##Δp_I(0^-)=Δp_{II}(0^+)##
2) ##\int_{0^-}^{0^+} d\frac{dΔp}{dx} \, dx = -\int_{0^-}^{0^+} Kδ(x)/D_p \, dx + \int_{0^-}^{0^+} Δp/L_p \, dx##
and i got
##A=B=\frac{KL_p}{2D_p}## so my function would look like this:
##Δp(x) = \frac{KL_p}{2D_p}e^{x/L_p}##, ##-a/2<x<0##
##Δp(x) = \frac{KL_p}{2D_p}e^{-x/L_p}##, ##0<x<+a/2##, periodic with period ##T=a##.

This solution is not correct and I must be missing something about the periodic generation function, probably some extra condition which i can't figure out. The solution from the book gives:
solution.jpg

which is of different form than what i have and has extra coefficients. What's wrong here? What is missing?

Attachments

• solution.jpg
    solution.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 296
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm looking at your convection-diffusion equation and don't see the recombination term.

1. What is the importance of finding the distribution of holes in a semiconductor?

Finding the distribution of holes in a semiconductor is crucial for understanding the electrical properties of the material. This information is essential for designing and optimizing semiconductor devices, such as transistors, diodes, and solar cells.

2. How is the distribution of holes in a semiconductor measured?

The distribution of holes in a semiconductor can be measured through various techniques, including Hall effect measurements, capacitance-voltage measurements, and scanning probe microscopy.

3. What factors affect the distribution of holes in a semiconductor?

The distribution of holes in a semiconductor is influenced by factors such as the doping concentration, temperature, electric field, and defects in the material. These factors can alter the number and mobility of holes in the semiconductor.

4. Can the distribution of holes in a semiconductor be controlled?

Yes, the distribution of holes in a semiconductor can be controlled through the process of doping, where impurities are intentionally added to the material to create a desired distribution of holes. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and electric field can also be used to manipulate the distribution of holes.

5. What are some applications of knowing the distribution of holes in a semiconductor?

The knowledge of the distribution of holes in a semiconductor is essential for the development of various electronic devices. It is used in the design and optimization of transistors, diodes, and solar cells. It also plays a crucial role in the study of semiconductor physics and materials science.