Complex impedance and phase angle of a circuit

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the impedance of a circuit with two parallel branches containing one L and one C in series in each branch. One person suggests computing the impedances of each branch separately and then combining them, while the other person is working on finding the complex impedance values for each branch. They discuss the precision of the frequency value and the need for using complex impedance calculations. They also mention the possibility of the circuit being at or close to resonance.
Pierson5
Homework Statement
Circuit contains 2 inductors, 2 resistors and 2 capacitors (I'll attach a photo).
L1 = 20mH, L2 = 50mH, C1 = 20uF, C2 = 50uF, R1 = 4 ohms, R2 = 8ohms, Vmax = 48V, f = 159.155Hz
Solve for the complex impedance (Zeq). Solve for Vmax and the phase 0eq of the current I(t) relative to V(t).
Relevant Equations
Omega = 2(pi)f
Imax = Vmax / Zeq
0eq = tan^-1 (imaginary portion of equation (coefficient with i in Zeq) / real portion of equation)
I've attached my work below. The numbers seem odd to me though. Are my equations correct? Is the phase angle really (0/12)? If so, what are the implications of that?

Attachments

• 20190520_082525.jpg
    20190520_082525.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 268
  • 20190520_082625.jpg
    20190520_082625.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 290
Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you compute the impedances one branch at a time and later add all together? Looks like you went straight for the total impedance by writing one big equation with a lot of symbols. It is a bit difficult to follow.

What is the "net" reactance of "each" branch?

Pierson5 said:
I've attached my work below. The numbers seem odd to me though. Are my equations correct? Is the phase angle really (0/12)? If so, what are the implications of that?
Your derivation is correct, but you made a mistake when evaluating the parallel resultant of Z1 and Z2.

That the frequency is specified to three decimal places raises my suspicion that the circuit will turn out to be at or very close to resonance. It would be a good idea to compute the individual impedances of the parallel branches as suggested by @cnh1995. Keep lots of decimal places in intermediate computations.

gneill said:
That the frequency is specified to three decimal places raises my suspicion that the circuit will turn out to be at or very close to resonance. It would be a good idea to compute the individual impedances of the parallel branches as suggested by @cnh1995. Keep lots of decimal places in intermediate computations.

Like this (for Z1)?
XC = 1/(ω * C) = 1/(1000 * 20E-6) = 20
XL = ω * L = 1000 * 20E-3 = 50
R = 4

Z1 = √R2 + (XL + XC)2

Plugging in the values above, I get 30.27 for Z1
Doing the same thing for Z2 I get 31.05

Would Zeq be the sum of them both?

cnh1995 said:
Why don't you compute the impedances one branch at a time and later add all together? Looks like you went straight for the total impedance by writing one big equation with a lot of symbols. It is a bit difficult to follow.

What is the "net" reactance of "each" branch?

What about:
Using: ZC + ZRL
Gives us: (1/iωL) + 1 / ((1/R) + (1/iωL))

To get equation for ZRLC

ZRLC = R - ω2RLC + iωL / iωRC - ω2LC

Plugging in the values for R1 (4), C1 (20E-6), L1 (20E-3), ω (1000) I get (2.4 + 20i) / (0.80i - 0.40)

For Z2 I get (-12 + 50i) / (4.0i - 2.50)

I'll start working on Zeq using
√(Z*)(Z) for Z1 and Z2 to see if anything turns up.

Z* being the complex conjugate of Z

Last edited:
Pierson5 said:
Like this (for Z1)?
XC = 1/(omega * C) = 1/(1000 * 20E-6) = 20
XL = omega * L = 1000 * 20E-3 = 50
R = 4

Z1 = √R2 + (XL + XC)2
No, there's no resistor in either branch. And you'll probably want to use complex impedance calculations rather than reactance values. That way you won't have to keep track of whether the net reactance is capacitive or inductive in nature -- in one the current leads the voltage and in the other the voltage leads the current. Complex number representation for the impedances and the complex mathematics automatically takes care of this.

Once you've got the individual branch impedances you can combine them into a single impedance which will then be in series with the two resistors.

gneill said:
No, there's no resistor in either branch. And you'll probably want to use complex impedance calculations rather than reactance values. That way you won't have to keep track of whether the net reactance is capacitive or inductive in nature -- in one the current leads the voltage and in the other the voltage leads the current. Complex number representation for the impedances and the complex mathematics automatically takes care of this.

Once you've got the individual branch impedances you can combine them into a single impedance which will then be in series with the two resistors.

Ah, that makes sense. I'll keep working with the complex impedance values. Is the reply above on the right track?

Calculating Zeq for branch one, nothing jumps out that demonstrates I would be on the right track. This is what I got so far (using values for Z in my previous post):

Zeq1 = √(Z*)(Z)
(Z)(Z*) = (2.4 + 20i) / (-0.40 + 0.80i) * (2.4 - 20i) / (-0.40 - 0.80i) = 405/0.80, taking square root = 22.52

Zeq2 = √(Z*)(Z)
(Z)(Z*) = (-12 + 50i) / (-2.5 + 0.40i) * (-12 - 50i) / (-2.5 - 40i) = 2644/6.41, taking square root = 51.36

This doesn't seem right to me given the precision of the starting f value, I think I should be dealing with simpler/rounded numbers.

Last edited:
Forget about the resistors for now.
You have two parallel branches, containing one L and one C in series in each branch.

What is the individual reactance of each branch?

Likes Pierson5
cnh1995 said:
Forget about the resistors for now.
You have two parallel branches, containing one L and one C in series in each branch.

What is the individual reactance of each branch?

I think I see what your saying, instead of computing everything algebraically to find Zeq, plug in values for L and C and compute those first?

ZL = iωL
ZC = 1/iωC

Plugging in the values from my original post for ZL + ZC I get:
1. ZL + ZC = -30i
2. Same as above = 30i

I'm not sure where to go from here.

Pierson5 said:
1. ZL + ZC = -30i
2. Same as above = 30i
That's correct.
What is the parallel equivalent of these two?

cnh1995 said:
That's correct.
What is the parallel equivalent of these two?

Combining them would give us zero.

Pierson5 said:
Combining them would give us zero.
They are in parallel.

cnh1995 said:
They are in parallel.
Isn't Ztotal = 1/z1 + 1/z2?

Or is it: (Z1)(Z2) / Z1 + Z2 (undefined?)

Pierson5 said:
Or is it: (Z1)(Z2) / Z1 + Z2 (undefined?)
It's not undefined, it is infinite.
Look up parallel resonance.
The parallel L-C network forms a resonant circuit which makes the impedance seen by the source infinite.

Likes Pierson5
cnh1995 said:
It's not undefined, it is infinite.
Look up parallel resonance.
The parallel L-C network forms a resonant circuit which makes the impedance seen by the source infinite.

I see, so that would explain why the phase angle is 0? The inductor/capacitor reactances have the same magnitude but cancel each other out because they are 180 degrees apart in phase?

Does that mean Imax approaches zero as it's denominator approaches infinity? I'm not sure what this means for the rest of the problem or how to demonstrate it mathematically.

Last edited:
Pierson5 said:
Does that mean Imax approaches zero as it's denominator approaches infinity? I'm not sure what this means for the rest of the problem or how to demonstrate it mathematically.
The real component of the impedance remains finite (##12 \Omega##) while the imaginary component has gone to infinity. You can use some calculus (limits) to show how arctan(y/x) behaves in such a case, where y →∞. Or maybe just look at a graph of atan() and draw your conclusion by inspection.

gneill said:
The real component of the impedance remains finite (##12 \Omega##) while the imaginary component has gone to infinity. You can use some calculus (limits) to show how arctan(y/x) behaves in such a case, where y →∞. Or maybe just look at a graph of atan() and draw your conclusion by inspection.

So, when calculating Zeq, I can show that the parallel components have infinite reactance, therefore I would not need to continue any other calculation except (R1 + R2) + imaginary component (infinity), and the rest of the problem is the same as my original attempt?

When calculating the phase angle, wouldn't that change the answer from zero to pi/2 (or 90 degrees)?

Pierson5 said:
So, when calculating Zeq, I can show that the parallel components have infinite reactance, therefore I would not need to continue any other calculation except (R1 + R2) + imaginary component (infinity), and the rest of the problem is the same as my original attempt?
Yep, pretty much.
When calculating the phase angle, wouldn't that change the answer from zero to pi/2 (or 90 degrees)?
Yes, but it's questionable what a phase angle means for zero current :smile:

If you assume that the given frequency is exact and the components ideal, then theoretically the reactive part of the impedance would not be infinite, simply very large. That's because ##\omega = 2 \pi f## would not be precisely 1000 rad/sec, and the branch impedances would not precisely match in magnitude. In such a case you could calculate an actual current (likely ridiculously small) and a phase angle of either + or - 90° depending upon whether the net reactance turned out to be capacitive or inductive in nature.

I've used Mathcad to plot how the phase angle behaves around the ##\omega = 1000 \frac{rad}{sec}## point for the circuit under consideration. I 've assumed that the components are ideal. Here's how it looks:

If the angular frequency of the source were exactly 1000 rad/sec, then one might argue that the phase angle was zero, but I think it would be better to say that it was undefined for a practical situation where component values and frequency specification are subject to uncertainty.

Likes Pierson5
gneill said:
I've used Mathcad to plot how the phase angle behaves around the ##\omega = 1000 \frac{rad}{sec}## point for the circuit under consideration. I 've assumed that the components are ideal. Here's how it looks:

If the angular frequency of the source were exactly 1000 rad/sec, then one might argue that the phase angle was zero, but I think it would be better to say that it was undefined for a practical situation where component values and frequency specification are subject to uncertainty.

Ah, now I'm not sure what to conclude. It makes since if it was tan-1(infinity) = pi/2 or 90 degrees. This is consistent with the rest of the problem we've worked through. How would tan-1(infinity) = zero or undefined?

Last edited:
In a practical circuit it would be undefined, since component tolerances and accuracy of the source frequency would influence the result.

In the present case, if the components and frequency are considered ideal values, a calculation keeping enough digits would show that the current phase would be ##-\frac{\pi}{2}##. But the current would have the incredibly small magnitude of ##I = 3.79\times 10^{-16} \text{A}##.

It's a tricky question that's designed to make you think about what can happen near resonance.

Likes Pierson5
gneill said:
In a practical circuit it would be undefined, since component tolerances and accuracy of the source frequency would influence the result.

In the present case, if the components and frequency are considered ideal values, a calculation keeping enough digits would show that the current phase would be ##-\frac{\pi}{2}##. But the current would have the incredibly small magnitude of ##I = 3.79\times 10^{-16} \text{A}##.

It's a tricky question that's designed to make you think about what can happen near resonance.
Talked to my professor, he said Imax is 48/infinity and therefore goes to zero. There is no current and therefore no phase. Phase is undefined. Thankyou all for your help. Really helped solidify my understanding of this problem!

Likes cnh1995
I'm very happy that I could be of help! Good luck in your studies.

Pierson5 said:
Thankyou all for your help. Really helped solidify my understanding of this problem!
Glad to hear your feedback!
Pierson5 said:
1. ZL + ZC = -30i
2. Same as above = 30i
As a side note, when dealing with complex quantities in electric circuits, the complex operator 'i' is replaced by 'j' as 'i' is reserved for current.

Likes Pierson5

1. What is complex impedance and how is it different from regular impedance?

Complex impedance refers to the total opposition of a circuit to the flow of alternating current, taking into account both resistance and reactance. It is represented by a complex number in the form of R + jX, where R is the resistance and jX is the reactance. Regular impedance, on the other hand, only takes into account resistance and is represented by a real number.

2. What is the significance of the phase angle in a circuit's impedance?

The phase angle in a circuit's impedance indicates the phase difference between the voltage and current in the circuit. This can provide information about the behavior of the circuit, such as whether it is capacitive, inductive, or resistive.

3. How is complex impedance calculated in a circuit?

Complex impedance can be calculated using Ohm's Law, where Z = V/I, with V being the voltage and I being the current. However, since it is a complex number, it is typically represented using phasor diagrams or in polar form.

4. How does the frequency of an AC circuit affect its complex impedance?

The frequency of an AC circuit can affect its complex impedance by changing the reactance component. As the frequency increases, the reactance of capacitors decreases and the reactance of inductors increases, resulting in a change in the overall complex impedance of the circuit.

5. What is the relationship between complex impedance and power in a circuit?

There is a direct relationship between complex impedance and power in a circuit. As the impedance increases, the power decreases, and vice versa. This is because a higher impedance means a larger opposition to the flow of current, resulting in a decrease in the power delivered to the circuit.