Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex integral is zero but fn. is not analytic

1. Aug 6, 2013 #1

ppy

Hi
    I have been using a textbook which shows that ∫cos z/z^2 around the circle |z|=1 is zero by doing a Laurent expansion and finding the residue is zero.
    I was under the impression that only analytic functions have a integral of zero around a closed surface. ( the Cauchy-Goursat Theorem ). The above function is not analytic at z=0 so can non-analytic functions have a closed integral of zero ?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2013 #2
    Of course. Observe: $$\int\limits_{[0,2\pi)}\frac{\cos(e^{i\theta})}{e^{2i\theta}}ie^{i\theta}d\theta = i\int\limits_{[0,2\pi)}\frac{\cos(e^{i\theta})}{e^{i\theta}}d\theta=0.$$

4. Aug 6, 2013 #3

ppy

Thanks for that. So if the closed integral is zero it doesn't prove that the function is analytic ? Does it infer anything ?
    Thanks

5. Aug 6, 2013 #4
    Not really.

It implies that the contour integral is 0, though. :tongue:

6. Aug 6, 2013 #5

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

you are missing a hypothesis of morera's theorem that the integrand be continuous.

7. Aug 6, 2013 #6
    This is true. :redface:

If the integrand is continuous and the integral is 0, then, with a couple of other conditions, the integrand is holomorphic.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook