Why is a complex function analytic if it has a non-zero imaginary component?

• MHB
  • Thread starter ognik
  • Start date
In summary, the presenter stated that a complex function will be analytic if it has a non-zero imaginary component. He then expands $z^2 + 2$ and states that if both x,y are non-zero, then we will have an imaginary part and the function will be analytic. However, if $z^2 + 2 \ge 0$, then the function will not be analytic.
ognik
Been working through videos on complex analysis, just when I thought I had a good grasp of the basics, I came across an example that I don't follow.

Where is $ log(z^2 + 2) $ analytic?
The presenter stated, it will be analytic unless $ z^2 + 2 \le 0$. I can't find a property like this anywhere, so where does he get that?

He then expands $ z^2 + 2 $ and states that if both x,y are non-zero, then we will have an imaginary part and the function will be analytic because we are not on the real axis. Again I can't find this property - that a complex function will be analytic if it has a non-zero imaginary component?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ognik,

Start by answering the following questions. How is $\log(z)$ defined? Where is $\log(z)$ analytic?

Hi Euge, by definition do you mean from z=$ e^w $, so that w = ln(z)?

A function is analytic at z if it has a derivative there, so with f(z) = ln(z), f'(z) = 1/z. So I can see z cannot = 0. And you can't have log of a negative, so $ z > 0 $

For f(z)=$ ln(z^2 + 2) , f'(z) = \frac{2z}{z^2 + 2} $, so $ z^2 + 2 \:must \:> 0. $ Of course I see it now. But then $ ln(z^2 + 2) $ is analytic for $ z^2 > -2 $ isn't it? Whether on real axis or with imaginary part?

Assume $z \neq 0$. The principal logarithm of $z$, typically denoted $Log\, z$, is defined as $\ln|z| + i\operatorname{arg}(z)$ were $-\pi < \arg(z) \le \pi$. It is defined and analytic on $\Bbb C \setminus (-\infty, 0]$. Note that some define $Log\, z$ be to the logarithm with $0 < \arg(z) \le 2\pi$.

Please show more care when discussing order with complex numbers. The complex numbers do not form an ordered field, so expressions like $z > 0$ and $z^2 > -2$ do not make sense. You could say $z$ is positive real number or $z^2 + 2$ lies on the positive real axis instead of these inequalities.

One minor note to add: do not write $ln(z)$ for the complex logarithm; use $log(z)$ instead. Keep in mind that you're not dealing with the natural logarithm of a real number.

Thanks as always Euge, all understood. (Just FYI, this is not part of my course, I just decided I'd to explore complex analysis a bit deeper than the text does; I'm doing maths for Physicists, apparently we are not pure :-) ). The text also does not cover ordered fields - but I did a bit more browsing.

I am still coming to grips with notation, for example I thought using log implied base 10, (which is why I wrote ln) - so log(z) implies base e 'cos z is complex?

Back to the main point - is it correct to say "the function will be analytic because we are not on the real axis" - for any complex function?

(I'd like to express again my profound gratitude for this forum, my 'lecturer' does not answer a lot of my emails, so forums are in practice the only interaction I have.)

Related to Why is a complex function analytic if it has a non-zero imaginary component?

1. What does it mean for f(z) to be analytic?

An analytic function is one that can be represented by a convergent power series in a neighborhood of every point in its domain. This means that the function is infinitely differentiable at every point in that neighborhood.

2. How do you determine if a function is analytic?

A function is analytic if its derivative exists at every point in its domain. This can be determined by taking the limit of the difference quotient of the function as the change in input approaches 0. If the limit exists, the function is analytic.

3. Can a function be analytic at some points but not others?

Yes, a function can be analytic at some points and not at others. This is because analyticity is determined locally, in a neighborhood around each point in the function's domain. A function may be analytic in one neighborhood, but not in another.

4. Is there a test to determine if a function is analytic?

There is no specific test for determining if a function is analytic, but there are several properties that an analytic function must satisfy. These include being infinitely differentiable, having a convergent power series representation, and satisfying the Cauchy-Riemann equations.

5. Are all commonly used functions analytic?

No, not all commonly used functions are analytic. Some examples of non-analytic functions include the absolute value function and the floor function. However, many commonly used functions such as polynomials, exponential functions, and trigonometric functions are analytic.