1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Integral Trigonometric Substitution

1. Oct 6, 2014 #1
    I'm solving two different definite integrals of functions

[itex]\frac{sin(z)}{z} [/itex] and [itex] \frac{cos(z)}{e^z+e^{-z}} [/itex]

with complex analysis and the residue theorem, and in the solutions they replace both

[itex]sin(z) [/itex] and [itex] cos(z) [/itex] with [itex]e^{iz}[/itex]

why is this possible?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2014 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

sin(z) = (e^{iz}-e^{-iz})/2i, cos(z) = (e^{iz}+e^{-iz})/2

4. Oct 6, 2014 #3
    Thanks Mathman, but I know of these identities. I was not asking about replacing trig with polar form. Because of the nature of the Residue Theorem and the geometry of the problem, for some reason I think they have decomposed the regions because of the singularity at z=0, and as a result the integral changes to a single term as stated above.

5. Oct 6, 2014 #4

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Take a close look at the paths of the integrals. On the real line, eir = cos(r) + i*sin(r). So if you know the total integral along the closed path and the values of the integrals off of the real line, you can determine the integral on the integral path part on the real line. Then you can pull off the real and imaginary parts to get the integrals of the cos and sin, respectively.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook