Please check this complex integral (#2)

In summary, the given function has a simple pole of order 3 at z = 0 and can be evaluated using residues or the Cauchy Integral formula. Using the latter, the correct answer is -πi. Alternatively, it can be written as a power series and integrated to obtain the same result.
ognik
An old exam question is: Evaluate $ \oint \frac{e^{iz}}{z^3}dz $ where the contour is a square of sides a, centered at 0. This has a simple pole of order 3 at z = 0

Perhaps using residues, $ Res(f,0) = \frac{1}{2!}\lim_{{z}\to{0}}\d{^2{}}{{z}^2}z^2 \frac{e^{iz}}{z^3} = \frac{1}{2}\lim_{{z}\to{0}} \d{^2{}}{{z}^2}\frac{e^{iz}}{z} $
But this will have z to some power in the denominator, with z -> 0, so I don't think I can do that

Instead I'll try the Cauchy Integral formula, $ \oint \frac{e^{iz}}{z^3}dz = \frac{2 \pi i}{2!}f^{(3)}(0) $, with $f(z) = e^{iz}$
$f(z) = e^{iz}, f^{(3)}(z)=-ie^{iz}, f^{(3)}(0) = -i$ and $ \oint \frac{e^{iz}}{z^3}dz = \pi $
Is all this correct please?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is wrong. You took an extra derivative.

You can also write $\frac{e^{iz}}{z^3}$ as a power series and notice the only term with $z^{-1}$ in it has coefficient equal to $\frac{(iz)^2}{(2!)z^3} = -\frac{1}{2z}$

When you integrate $z^{-1}$ over that region you get $2\pi i$. Therefore, the final answer will be,
$$ 2\pi i \times -\frac{1}{2} = -\pi i$$

All clear, thanks for the series suggestion as well.

1. What is a complex integral?

A complex integral is a mathematical concept that involves evaluating the area under a curve in the complex plane. It is similar to a regular integral, but it takes into account the imaginary numbers in addition to real numbers.

2. Why is it important to check complex integrals?

Complex integrals are important because they are used in many areas of science and mathematics, including physics, engineering, and statistics. Checking these integrals ensures the accuracy of calculations and helps to avoid errors in data analysis.

3. How do I check a complex integral?

To check a complex integral, you can use various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or the residue theorem. It is also helpful to use software programs or calculators specifically designed for complex integrals.

4. What are some common mistakes when checking complex integrals?

Some common mistakes when checking complex integrals include forgetting to account for the imaginary component, making errors in substitution or integration by parts, and incorrectly applying the residue theorem. It is important to double-check all steps and calculations to avoid these mistakes.

5. Are there any tips for simplifying complex integrals?

Yes, there are some tips for simplifying complex integrals. These include using symmetry, choosing a suitable path for integration, and applying trigonometric identities. It is also helpful to practice and become familiar with common complex integrals and their solutions.