1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Integration using residue theorem

1. Dec 7, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Untitled.png

##C_\rho## is a semicircle of radius ##\rho## in the upper-half plane.
    What is
    $$\lim_{\rho\rightarrow 0} \int_{C_{\rho}} \frac{e^{iaz}-e^{ibz}}{z^2} \,dz$$

2. Relevant equations
    If ##C## is a closed loop and ##z_1, z_2 ... z_n## are the singular points inside ##C##,
    $$\int_C f(z) \,dz =2\pi i \sum_{k=1}^n Res_{z=z_k}f(z)$$

3. The attempt at a solution
    According to the solution,
    $$--------------$$
    $$\begin{align}
    f(z)&= \frac{e^{iaz}-e^{ibz}}{z^2}\\
    &= \frac{1}{z^2}\left[\left(1+\frac{iaz}{1!}+\frac{(iaz)^2}{2!}+\frac{(iaz)^3}{3!}+...\right)-\left(1+\frac{ibz}{1!}+\frac{(ibz)^2}{2!}+\frac{(ibz)^3}{3!}+...\right)\right]\\
    &=\frac{i(a-b)}{z}+...~~~(0<|z|<\infty)
    \end{align}$$
    So ##z=0## is a simple pole of ##f(z)##, with residue ##B_0=i(a-b)##. Thus
    $$\begin{align} \lim_{\rho\rightarrow 0} \int_{C_{\rho}}f(z) \,dz &=-B_0\pi i\\
    &=-i(a-b)\pi i\\
    &=\pi(a-b)\end{align}$$
    $$--------------$$
    I do not understand equation (4).
    I guess Cauchy's Residue Theorem is applied here. According to that theorem, integral over a closed contour is equal to ##2\pi i## times the residue. I guess, it was assumed that for semicircular contour, the integral would be ##\pi i## times the residue, may be because of integrals over an upper semi-circle and over a lower semi-circle being equal.
    But I do not understand why the integrals over an upper semi-circle and over a lower semi-circle are equal.
    ##f(z)## is not symmetric about real-axis, because
    $$\begin{align}
    f(z)=&f(re^{i\theta})\\
    &=\frac{\exp(ia\cdot re^{i\theta})-\exp(ib\cdot re^{i\theta})}{r^2 e^{i2\theta}}\\
    &=\frac{\exp(-ar\sin{\theta+iar\cos{\theta}})-\exp(-br\sin{\theta+ibr\cos{\theta}})}{r^2e^{i2\theta}}\end{align}$$
    Now, if ##\theta## is substituted by ##-\theta##, the expression is not the same.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2016 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

To obtain eq. (4), just evaluate the integral ##\int_{C_{\rho}} (1/z) dz## explicitly; there is no need to use Theorems.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted