1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Mapping/Images question

1. Apr 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For the mapping f(z) = [itex]\frac{z - i}{z + i}[/itex], find the image of Im(z) ≥ 0

3. The attempt at a solution

So in the z-plane this is clearly everything for y ≥ 0

I substituted x + iy, and rationalised it to get:

[itex]u+iv[/itex] = [itex]{\frac {{x}^{2}-1+{y}^{2}}{{x}^{2}+1+{y}^{2}+2\,y}}-{\frac {2\,ix}{{x}
    ^{2}+1+{y}^{2}+2\,y}}
    [/itex]

The denominator can be simplified to x^2 + (y+1)^2

The answer says that this is a closed disc of |w| ≤ 1 with an exclusion at w = 1. Which means I should be seeing an answer of the form u^2 + v^2 ≤ 1

I do not see how they got this.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try looking at what happens to the boundary y=0. Can you show that maps into u^2+v^2=1?

4. Apr 13, 2012 #3
    For (x,y)

I used (0,0) -> (-1,0)
    (1,0) -> (0,-1)
    (-1,0) -> (0,1)

So one can see that it starts forming a circle, from the answer given I could guess that it is indeed a circle, but since I can't plot (0,-1) since that's not defined, how would I know it is a circle?

Also it's easy to see that for any values y>0, it maps to a point inside the circle, so it's definitely inside the region.

Also, is it possible to see what this is without having to plot several points?

5. Apr 13, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Put y=0 into your u and v expressions. Show u^2+v^2=1. It's pretty easy algebra.

6. Apr 13, 2012 #5
    I do not quite follow. That gives me an expression in x.

7. Apr 13, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What expression for x? If you did it correctly you should be able to simplify the expression to 1.

8. Apr 13, 2012 #7
    For y = 0:

u + iv = [itex]{\frac {{x}^{2}-2\,ix-1}{{x}^{2}+1}}[/itex]

9. Apr 13, 2012 #8
    Oh, I see now, when y=0 and x= 0. Thanks!

10. Apr 13, 2012 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well no, for y=0 and x=anything. ((x^2-1)^2+(2x)^2)/(x^2+1)^2=1. Yes?

11. Apr 13, 2012 #10
    Hmm, yes I see that now after working it out, although I hadn't the faintest idea that would occur by looking at the expressions, how did you figure that out?

12. Apr 13, 2012 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You told me the answer should be u^2+v^2=1. That was my first clue. I know that the function you gave is a Mobius transformation. I know all Mobius transformations map lines to lines or circles. That was a pretty good second clue.

13. Apr 13, 2012 #12
    A Mobius Transformation? Never heard of that, thanks for the tip, I will check it out now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook