Complex Mapping/Images question

Homework Statement

For the mapping f(z) = [itex]\frac{z - i}{z + i}[/itex], find the image of Im(z) ≥ 0

The Attempt at a Solution

So in the z-plane this is clearly everything for y ≥ 0

I substituted x + iy, and rationalised it to get:

[itex]u+iv[/itex] = [itex]{\frac {{x}^{2}-1+{y}^{2}}{{x}^{2}+1+{y}^{2}+2\,y}}-{\frac {2\,ix}{{x}
^{2}+1+{y}^{2}+2\,y}}
[/itex]

The denominator can be simplified to x^2 + (y+1)^2

The answer says that this is a closed disc of |w| ≤ 1 with an exclusion at w = 1. Which means I should be seeing an answer of the form u^2 + v^2 ≤ 1

I do not see how they got this.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Try looking at what happens to the boundary y=0. Can you show that maps into u^2+v^2=1?

For (x,y)

I used (0,0) -> (-1,0)
(1,0) -> (0,-1)
(-1,0) -> (0,1)

So one can see that it starts forming a circle, from the answer given I could guess that it is indeed a circle, but since I can't plot (0,-1) since that's not defined, how would I know it is a circle?

Also it's easy to see that for any values y>0, it maps to a point inside the circle, so it's definitely inside the region.

Also, is it possible to see what this is without having to plot several points?

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
For (x,y)

I used (0,0) -> (-1,0)
(1,0) -> (0,-1)
(-1,0) -> (0,1)

So one can see that it starts forming a circle, from the answer given I could guess that it is indeed a circle, but since I can't plot (0,-1) since that's not defined, how would I know it is a circle?

Also it's easy to see that for any values y>0, it maps to a point inside the circle, so it's definitely inside the region.

Also, is it possible to see what this is without having to plot several points?
Put y=0 into your u and v expressions. Show u^2+v^2=1. It's pretty easy algebra.

Put y=0 into your u and v expressions. Show u^2+v^2=1. It's pretty easy algebra.
I do not quite follow. That gives me an expression in x.

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I do not quite follow. That gives me an expression in x.
What expression for x? If you did it correctly you should be able to simplify the expression to 1.

For y = 0:

u + iv = [itex]{\frac {{x}^{2}-2\,ix-1}{{x}^{2}+1}}[/itex]

Oh, I see now, when y=0 and x= 0. Thanks!

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Oh, I see now, when y=0 and x= 0. Thanks!
Well no, for y=0 and x=anything. ((x^2-1)^2+(2x)^2)/(x^2+1)^2=1. Yes?

Hmm, yes I see that now after working it out, although I hadn't the faintest idea that would occur by looking at the expressions, how did you figure that out?

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Hmm, yes I see that now after working it out, although I hadn't the faintest idea that would occur by looking at the expressions, how did you figure that out?
You told me the answer should be u^2+v^2=1. That was my first clue. I know that the function you gave is a Mobius transformation. I know all Mobius transformations map lines to lines or circles. That was a pretty good second clue.

A Mobius Transformation? Never heard of that, thanks for the tip, I will check it out now.