1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex number epsilon-delta problem

1. Feb 23, 2015 #1

jjr

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that [itex] \lim_{z\rightarrow z_0} Re\hspace{1mm}z = Re\hspace{1mm} z_0 [/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    It is specifically mentioned in the text that the epsilon-delta relation should be used,

[itex] |f(z)-\omega_0| < \epsilon\hspace{3mm}\text{whenever}\hspace{3mm}0<|z-z_0|<\delta [/itex].

Where [itex] \lim_{z\rightarrow z_0}f(z) = \omega_0 [/itex]
    Other equations that might be useful are
    [itex] |z_1+z_2| \leq |z_1| + |z_2|\hspace{3mm}\text{(Triangle inequality)} [/itex]
    and perhaps
    [itex] Re\hspace{1mm}z \leq |Re\hspace{1mm} z| \leq |z| [/itex]
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Here [itex] \omega_0 = Re\hspace{1mm}z_0[/itex] and [itex] f(z) = Re\hspace{1mm} z [/itex],
    so we want to find a delta [itex] |z-z_0| < \delta [/itex] such that [itex] |Re\hspace{1mm}z - Re\hspace{1mm}z_0| < \epsilon [/itex].

I am honestly not sure how to approach this. Any clues would be very helpful.

Thanks,
    J

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2015 #2

Svein

Science Advisor

Start with the fact that limz→z0z = z0.

4. Feb 23, 2015 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Think about it. Which is larger ##|z-z_0|## or ##|Re(z)-Re(z_0)|##?

5. Feb 23, 2015 #4

jjr

Well, the distance between two complex points is definitely larger or equal to the distance between the real parts of the same points...

6. Feb 23, 2015 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, so how small shall we make ##|z-z_0|## to make sure that ##|Re(z)-Re(z_0)| \lt \epsilon##?

7. Feb 23, 2015 #6

jjr

Hmm. I suppose that if we set [itex] |z-z_0| [/itex] smaller than [itex] \epsilon [/itex], then [itex] |Re(z)-Re(z_0)| [/itex] would have to be smaller than [itex] \epsilon [/itex]. I.e. [itex] \delta = \epsilon[/itex]?

8. Feb 23, 2015 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes.

9. Feb 23, 2015 #8

jjr

Thank you. Not too hard to see really, but I'm still not sure how to show it. Is the statement I made sufficient? I feel like it's lacking some rigor

10. Feb 23, 2015 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You just need to show ##|Re(z)| \le |z|##.

11. Feb 24, 2015 #10

jjr

Okay, I think I've got my head wrapped around it. I have another one, if you would care to have a look:

To be shown:
    ##\lim_{z\rightarrow z_0} \bar{z}=\bar{z_0}##

So
    ## |\bar{z}-\bar{z_0}|<\epsilon \to |z-z_0|<\delta##

My work:
    I'm trying to find some relation between ##z,z_0## and their conjugates, so I tried setting
    ##\bar{z}=z-2Im(z)##
    ##\to |\bar{z}-\bar{z_0}| = |z-z_0-2Im(z)+2Im(z)|##.
    Here I tried invoking the triangle inequality, but the expression I ended up with didn't help much.
    Suggestions?

Thanks,
    J

edit: typo

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  12. Feb 24, 2015 #11

Svein

Science Advisor

Hint: [itex]\lvert z-z_{0}\rvert ^{2}=(z-z_{0})(\bar{z}-\bar{z_{0}})=\lvert \bar{z}-\bar{z_{0}}\rvert ^{2} [/itex]

13. Feb 24, 2015 #12

jjr

Thank you. I suppose one could take the square root from both sides and obtain ##|z-z_0| = |\bar{z}-\bar{z_0}|##, which in turn enables us to set ##\delta = \epsilon##? Thinking about this again I realize that this makes sense, that the distance between two points ##z, z_0## should be the same as the distance between the same two points mirrored about the imaginary axis.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted