Solve Complex Integral: Find Residues & Singularities

In summary, a complex integral is an extension of a regular integral to complex numbers used to solve problems in complex analysis and other areas of mathematics. Residues are the leftover values of a function after it has been integrated over a closed contour, while singularities are points where a function is not analytic and cannot be integrated. Residues can be found using the Residue Theorem or by using a function's Laurent series expansion. The most commonly encountered types of singularities in complex integrals are poles, branch points, and essential singularities. Complex integrals with residues and singularities have applications in various fields such as complex analysis, differential equations, physics, signal processing, quantum mechanics, and fluid dynamics.
jjr

Homework Statement

Describe all the singularities of the function ##g(z)=\frac{z}{1-\cos{z}}## inside ##C## and calculate the integral

## \int_C \frac{z}{1-\cos{z}}dz, ##

where ##C=\{z:|z|=1\}## and positively oriented.

Homework Equations

[/B]
Residue theorem: Let C be a simple closed contour, described in the positive sense. If a function ##f## is analytic inside and on C except for a finite number of singular points ##z_k (k=1,2,...,n)## inside C, then

##\int_C f(z)dz=2\pi i\sum_{k=1}^{n}Res_{z=z_k}f(z)##

and the series

## \cos{z}=(1-\frac{z^2}{2!}+\frac{z^4}{4!}-...) ##

Laurent series representation of a function
##f(z)=\sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n(z-z_0)^n+\frac{b_1}{z-z_0}+\frac{b_2}{(z-z_0)^2}+...##

The Attempt at a Solution

The function has singularities whenever ##\cos{z}=1 ##, i.e. when ##z=2\pi n,\hspace{3mm} n=0,\pm 1,\pm 2##. Within the boundary this only happens once, when ## n=0##.

The integral itself is easily calculated by the residue theorem, but I have to find the residues first.

I use the series expansion and get

##g(z)=\frac{z}{1-\cos{z}}=\frac{z}{1-(1-\frac{z^2}{2!}+\frac{z^4}{4!}-...)}=\frac{1}{\frac{z}{2!}-\frac{z^3}{4!}+...}##

I am a bit stuck at this point. To be able to find the residues and to classify the singularity I need to know how many of the ##b_n## terms of the Laurent series representation vanish. But I'm not sure how I can get it on the form ##...\frac{b_1}{z-z_0}+\frac{b_2}{(z-z_0)^2}+...##

Any suggestions would be very helpfulJ

Physics news on Phys.org
An alternate definition of the residue depends on the limit as the contour approaches the singular point.
Letting ##z = |z|e ^{i\theta}##
##\lim_{|z|\to 0 } \int_0^{2\pi} \frac{z}{1-\cos z}|z|\, d\theta ##?

Hint, since the function is continuous, the integral is bounded, and the limits of integration do not depend on the variable in the limit, you should be able to pass the limit through the integral.

jjr said:
But I'm not sure how I can get it on the form ##...\frac{b_1}{z-z_0}+\frac{b_2}{(z-z_0)^2}+...##

Any suggestions would be very helpful

On ##\{ z : 0 < |z| < 2\pi\}## the function ##g## has a Laurent expansion of the form
$$
g(z) = \gamma_{-1}z^{-1} + \gamma_0 + \gamma_1 z + O(z^2)
$$
(Why? In particular, how can you conclude a priori that zero is a simple pole?) You had already derived that
$$
g(z) = \frac{1}{\frac{z}{2!} - \frac{z^3}{4!} + O(z^5)}
$$
Now combine these two expressions to find the residue ##\gamma_{-1}##.

1. What is a complex integral?

A complex integral is an extension of a regular integral to complex numbers. It involves integration over a complex plane rather than a real line, and can be used to solve problems in complex analysis and other areas of mathematics.

2. What are residues and singularities in complex integrals?

Residues are the values of a complex function at points where it is not defined. They can be thought of as the "leftover" values of a function after it has been integrated over a closed contour in the complex plane. Singularities, on the other hand, are points where a function is not analytic and therefore cannot be integrated.

3. How do you find residues in a complex integral?

To find residues in a complex integral, you can use the Residue Theorem, which states that the value of an integral around a closed contour is equal to the sum of the residues inside the contour. Residues can also be found by using the Laurent series expansion of a function.

4. What are the different types of singularities in complex integrals?

The most commonly encountered types of singularities in complex integrals are poles, branch points, and essential singularities. Poles are isolated points where a function is undefined, branch points are points where a function has multiple values, and essential singularities are points where a function has an infinite number of values.

5. What are some applications of solving complex integrals with residues and singularities?

Complex integrals with residues and singularities are used in various areas of mathematics, including complex analysis, differential equations, and physics. They can be used to evaluate real integrals, solve differential equations, and analyze physical systems. They also have applications in signal processing, quantum mechanics, and fluid dynamics.