Complex number equation - absolute value assumption

In summary, the conversation discusses the procedures of solving an example involving the equation (z+i)/(z-i)^4=-1. The speaker explains that by taking the norm of both sides and using the property |ab|=|a||b|, it can be proven that |a^4|=|a|^4. This leads to the understanding that z is a real number and allows for the transformation W=(x+i)/(x-i)=(x^2-1)/(x+1)+(2x/(x+1))i. The speaker is struggling to understand the transformation in red and how it applies to a similar equation in their homework.
pinsky
I have a problem in understanding the procedures of a solved example. It goes like this.

[tex]\left ( \frac{z+i}{z-i} \right )^4 = -1[/tex]

Therefor we can write:

[tex]\left | \frac{z+i}{z-i} \right | = 1[/tex]

From that we can see that z is a real number because:

[tex]\left | z+i \right | = \left | z-i \right | \; \; \; , z=x+yi \; \; \Rightarrow y=0 \; \; z=x[/tex]

So let's say that:

[tex]W = \frac{x+i}{x-i}=\frac{x^2-1}{x+1}+\frac{2x}{x+1}i[/tex]

[tex]W^4 = -1 [/tex]

And from that they get the solutions by doing some additional steps which i understand. What i can't seem to understand is the transformation written in red. For I'm having a homework to solve:

[tex]\left ( \frac{z+1}{z-1} \right )^3 = -1[/tex]

and I don't know if i can apply the same assumption as in the upper example cause i don't understand what happened.

Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
because |ab| = |a||b| it's easy to prove that |a^4| = |a|^4

now take the norm of both sides of the first equation and use this

Thank you

[SOLVED]

1. What is a complex number equation?

A complex number equation is an equation that involves both real and imaginary numbers. It is typically written in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit equal to the square root of -1.

2. What is the absolute value assumption in a complex number equation?

The absolute value assumption in a complex number equation is the assumption that the absolute value of a complex number is equal to its distance from the origin on the complex plane. This means that the absolute value of a complex number a + bi is equal to the square root of a^2 + b^2.

3. Why is the absolute value assumption important in complex number equations?

The absolute value assumption is important in complex number equations because it allows us to simplify complex expressions and solve equations more easily. It also helps us understand the geometric properties of complex numbers and their relationships on the complex plane.

4. Can the absolute value assumption be applied to all complex number equations?

No, the absolute value assumption can only be applied to complex number equations that involve real and imaginary numbers. It cannot be applied to equations that involve only real numbers or equations that involve complex numbers raised to a power.

5. How is the absolute value assumption used in solving complex number equations?

The absolute value assumption is used in solving complex number equations by first simplifying the equation using the properties of absolute value, and then solving for the real and imaginary parts separately. It can also be used to graph complex numbers on the complex plane and find their distance from the origin.