Complex numbers simultaneous equations

In summary, the conversation is about solving a system of equations, with one person seeking help and another providing a hint on how to solve it. They use the quadratic formula to find the solutions, which are given in the form (x + yi).
lemonthree
Hi all, I have spent a couple of hours on this perplexing question.

Solve the simultaneous equations:
z = w + 3i + 2 and z2 - iw + 5 - 2i = 0
giving z and w in the form (x + yi) where x and y are real.

I tried various methods, all to no avail.
I have substituted z into z2 , I got the wrong answers.
I also tried letting z be (a + bi) and w be (c + di) and tried to combine the 2 equations together, and I got a horrible mess with many unknowns.

Please help me, thank you!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Just substitute $z=w+3i+2$ in $z^2-iw+5-2i=0$ and use the fact that $(a+b+c)^2=a^2+2ab+2ac+b^2+2bc+c^2$.

What do you get?

evinda said:
Just substitute $z=w+3i+2$ in $z^2-iw+5-2i=0$ and use the fact that $(a+b+c)^2=a^2+2ab+2ac+b^2+2bc+c^2$.

What do you get?

I got w = -2 + 2i or -2 - 7i, which is not the right answer :eek:

Solve the simultaneous equations:
z = w + 3i + 2 and z2 - iw + 5 - 2i = 0
giving z and w in the form (x + yi) where x and y are real.

$z = w + 3i + 2 \implies w = z-3i-2$

$z^2 - i(z-3i-2) + 5-2i = 0$

$z^2 - iz + 2 = 0$

now use the quadratic formula to solve for $z$ ... you should get

$z = 2i \implies w = -i-2$

or

$z =-i \implies w = -4i-2$

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that have both a real and imaginary component. They are written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part, with i being the imaginary unit equal to the square root of -1.

2. What are simultaneous equations?

Simultaneous equations are a set of equations that are solved together, where the solution is a set of values that make all of the equations true. In other words, the solutions satisfy all of the equations at the same time.

3. How do you solve complex numbers simultaneous equations?

To solve complex numbers simultaneous equations, you can use the substitution method or the elimination method, just like with real numbers. However, the solutions may involve complex numbers instead of just real numbers.

4. Can complex numbers simultaneous equations have more than one solution?

Yes, complex numbers simultaneous equations can have more than one solution. In fact, they can have an infinite number of solutions, as complex numbers form a continuous plane rather than a discrete line like real numbers.

5. What is the geometrical interpretation of complex numbers simultaneous equations?

The geometrical interpretation of complex numbers simultaneous equations is that the solutions correspond to the intersection points of the graphs of the equations on the complex plane. Each equation represents a line or curve on the plane, and the solutions are the points where these lines or curves intersect.