Complex numbers. write equation on form "a+bi"

In summary, the complex numbers in question can be rewritten in the form "a+bi" as -1/2+-√3/2*i for a) and -√6 -√2*i for b). The key to solving these was knowing the values of cos(-theta) and sin(-theta) on the unit circle.
terhje

Homework Statement

Write this complex number in the form "a+bi"
a) cos(-pi/3) + i*sin(-pi/3)
b) 2√2(cos(-5pi/6)+i*sin(-5pi/6))

Homework Equations

my only problem is that I am getting + instead of - on the cosinus side.(real number)

The Attempt at a Solution

a) pi/3 in the unit circle is 1/2 for cosinus and √3)/2 for sinus, and since both have minus infront it should be
-1/2+-√3/2*i
my answer = -1/2-√3/2*i
the solution: 1/2-√3/2*i

b) exactly the same on b. -5pi/6 in the unit circle is -√3/2 for cos, and 1/2 for sin.
2√2*-(-√3/2) + i*2√2*-1/2
removing two's over and under. √2*√3-√2*i
my answer : = √6 -√2*i
the solution is -√6 -√2*i

sorry to bother,
thanks, T

Physics news on Phys.org
terhje said:
a) pi/3 in the unit circle is 1/2 for cosinus and √3)/2 for sinus, and since both have minus infront it should be
-1/2+-√3/2*i
What is ##cos(-\theta)##?
Edit: And ##sin(-\theta)##

Last edited:
Likes terhje
Aniruddha@94 said:
What is ##cos(-\theta)##?
lol, thanks for the help :D

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that have both a real part and an imaginary part, represented by the form a+bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part. They are used in mathematics to solve equations that cannot be solved using only real numbers.

2. How do you add or subtract complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, you simply add or subtract the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. For example, (a+bi) + (c+di) = (a+c) + (b+d)i.

3. What is the complex conjugate of a complex number?

The complex conjugate of a complex number a+bi is a-bi. It is obtained by changing the sign of the imaginary part. It is used in various operations with complex numbers, such as division and finding the absolute value.

4. How do you multiply complex numbers?

To multiply complex numbers, you can use the FOIL method, where you multiply the first terms, outer terms, inner terms, and last terms, and then combine like terms. For example, (a+bi)(c+di) = (ac - bd) + (ad + bc)i.

5. How do you solve equations involving complex numbers?

To solve equations involving complex numbers, you can use the same techniques as solving equations with real numbers, such as combining like terms and isolating the variable. However, since complex numbers have both a real and an imaginary part, you may need to use the properties of complex numbers, such as finding the complex conjugate, to simplify the equation.