Complex power raised over real number.

In summary, a friend asked if it is possible to raise a complex power over a real number, and the author found a solution that is accurate to more digits.
PrashntS
1. I actually don't know if such kind of operation is even allowed.

A friend of mine raised this question, that can we raise a complex power over a real number. I solved it this way. Is this correct?

http://i45.tinypic.com/254vwux.jpg

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that's fine.

Yes, you did it correctly. I am not quite sure approximating the transcandental functions with decimals, but I suppose that's fine.

PrashntS said:
1. I actually don't know if such kind of operation is even allowed.

A friend of mine raised this question, that can we raise a complex power over a real number. I solved it this way. Is this correct?

http://i45.tinypic.com/254vwux.jpg

Your method is OK, but if you plan to use the results in further numerical computations, you should keep more digits of accuracy; nowadays, in this computer age, there is no barrier to retaining more digits. For example, it might be better (depending on future uses) to write
[tex]3^{5i} = e^{i 5 \ln 3 } = \cos(5 \ln 3) + i \sin(5 \ln 3) \doteq
0.7037573 - 0.7104404 i\, . [/tex]

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
Your method is OK, but if you plan to use the results in further numerical computations, you should keep more digits of accuracy; nowadays, in this computer age, there is no barrier to retaining more digits. For example, it might be better (depending on future uses) to write
[tex]3^{5i} = e^{i 5 \ln 3 } = \cos(5 \ln 3) + i \sin(5 \ln 3) \doteq
0.7037573 - 0.7104404 i\, . [/tex]

RGV

Yeah this is obviously much better, I was just looking whether it is even possible or not as none of the books I use has such question.
Would be awesome if you could suggest some good book for complex number (pre collage).

Are you also taking into account that there are infinitely-many solutions depending

on your choice of branch/argument?

Bacle2 said:
Are you also taking into account that there are infinitely-many solutions depending

on your choice of branch/argument?

well that's obvious, isn't it? trigo fn is periodic, i just stayed in principle branch

1. What is complex power raised over a real number?

Complex power raised over a real number is a mathematical operation where a complex number (a number with a real and imaginary part) is raised to a real number exponent.

2. How is complex power raised over a real number calculated?

The calculation for complex power raised over a real number involves multiplying the complex number by itself the number of times specified by the exponent. For example, (2+3i)^3 would be calculated as (2+3i)*(2+3i)*(2+3i).

3. What are the properties of complex power raised over a real number?

The properties of complex power raised over a real number are similar to those of real number exponents. The product of two complex numbers raised to the same real number exponent is equal to the product of each complex number raised to the exponent. Also, raising a complex number with an exponent of 1 is equivalent to the original complex number.

4. What is the difference between complex power and real power?

The main difference between complex power and real power is that complex power involves a complex number as the base, while real power involves a real number as the base. Additionally, complex power can result in a complex number, while real power always results in a real number.

5. What are some real-world applications of complex power raised over a real number?

Complex power raised over a real number is commonly used in electrical engineering and physics to calculate the power of alternating current circuits. It is also used in signal processing, control systems, and other fields that involve complex numbers and calculations.