Proof of Complex Conjugates and Real Coefficients | Complex Numbers Homework

In summary, when given two non-real complex numbers k and z, they will be complex conjugates if and only if the product (x-k)(x-z) is a polynomial with real coefficients. This can be proven by setting k = a + bi and z = a - bi, and then writing out (x-k)(x-z) to see if any complex terms remain. This technique can also be used to prove that if two numbers are complex conjugates, then their coefficients must be real.
astrololo

Homework Statement

I have two complex numbers that are non real, k and z. K and z are going to be complex conjugates if and only if the product (x-k)(x-z) is a polynomial with real coefficients.

Here is my answer :

k=a+bi

z=c+di

(x-k)(x-z) = x^2 -(k+z)x+kz

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to prove that a=c and d=-b (I have proven they're conjugatCes)

But because this is a if and only if, I must prove that if they're conjugates, then the coefficients are real. How do I do that ?

Physics news on Phys.org
So k = a + bi and z = a - bi. Now write out (x-k)(x-z) and see if there's anything complex left over or not !

BvU said:
So k = a + bi and z = a - bi. Now write out (x-k)(x-z) and see if there's anything complex left over or not !
To be honest, I did think about doing that but I was lazy and didn't try it and went just to ask this question... Thank you !

Being lazy is often a good quality for finding an economic way out of a problem :smile:

1. What is a complex conjugate?

A complex conjugate is a pair of complex numbers that have the same real part but opposite imaginary parts. For example, the complex conjugate of 3 + 4i is 3 - 4i.

2. How do you find the complex conjugate of a given complex number?

To find the complex conjugate of a given complex number, simply change the sign of the imaginary part. For example, the complex conjugate of 2 + 5i is 2 - 5i.

3. What is the significance of complex conjugates in complex numbers?

Complex conjugates are important in complex numbers because they allow us to find the modulus (magnitude) and argument (angle) of a complex number. They also help in simplifying algebraic expressions involving complex numbers.

4. What are real coefficients in complex numbers?

Real coefficients in complex numbers refer to the real numbers that are multiplied by the imaginary unit, i, to form a complex number. For example, in the complex number 3 + 4i, the real coefficient is 3.

5. How do you prove that a complex number has real coefficients and its conjugate?

To prove that a complex number has real coefficients and its conjugate, we can use the fact that the product of a complex number and its conjugate is always a real number. So, if we multiply a complex number with its conjugate and get a real number, it means that both the complex number and its conjugate have real coefficients.