Complex Quantum Mechanical Problem needs Plotting

In summary, the equation T=(cos(k2*a)^2+(1/4)*(r^\ast+\frac{1}{r^\ast})*sin(k2*a)*sin(k2^\ast*a))^{-1}, where r=k2/k1; r^\ast=\frac{k2^\ast}{k1}; k2^\ast is the complex conjugate of k2, can be rewritten as a function of \alpha=\frac{V}{E} by squaring k2 and k1 and substituting their values, k2=\frac{\sqrt{2*m*(E-V)}}{\hbar} and k1=\frac{\sqrt{2*m*E}}{\hbar}. This is the 1
neutrino2063
So I have this equation:

T=[tex](cos(k2*a)^2+(1/4)*(r^\ast+\frac{1}{r^\ast})*sin(k2*a)*sin(k2^\ast*a))^{-1}[/tex]

where r=k2/k1; [tex]r^\ast=\frac{k2^\ast}{k1}; k2^\ast[/tex] is the complex conjugate of k2

also [tex]k2=\frac{\sqrt{2*m*(E-V)}}{\hbar}[/tex] and [tex]k1=\frac{\sqrt{2*m*E}}{\hbar}[/tex]

m,[tex]\hbar[/tex],a are all constants
Somehow I need to write T as a function of [tex]\alpha=\frac{V}{E}[/tex] so that I can plot it.
Truth be told I have no idea what to do. I tried playing around with k2 but got nowhere. So any ideas or pointing in the right direction would be much appreciated.
In case anyone is wondering where this is coming from it is the 1-D step potential barrier problem in into Quantum Mechanics.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi neutrino2063! :smile:
neutrino2063 said:
[tex]k2=\frac{\sqrt{2*m*(E-V)}}{\hbar}[/tex] and [tex]k1=\frac{\sqrt{2*m*E}}{\hbar}[/tex]

Somehow I need to write T as a function of [tex]\alpha=\frac{V}{E}[/tex] so that I can plot it.
Truth be told I have no idea what to do. I tried playing around with k2 but got nowhere.

But did you try squaring k2 (and k1)? :wink:

1. What is a complex quantum mechanical problem?

A complex quantum mechanical problem is a problem that involves the application of quantum mechanics, a branch of physics that deals with the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. These problems can be highly mathematical and involve multiple variables and equations.

2. Why does a complex quantum mechanical problem need plotting?

Plotting is a crucial step in solving a complex quantum mechanical problem because it allows us to visualize the behavior of particles and understand how they interact with each other. It also helps us to identify patterns and make predictions about the outcomes of the problem.

3. What types of plots are commonly used in complex quantum mechanical problems?

Some common types of plots used in complex quantum mechanical problems include wavefunction plots, energy level diagrams, and probability distribution plots. These plots help us to understand the behavior of particles and their interactions in a visual way.

4. How can plotting help in solving a complex quantum mechanical problem?

Plotting can help in solving a complex quantum mechanical problem by providing a visual representation of the problem, which can aid in identifying any errors or inconsistencies in the calculations. It can also help in making predictions and understanding the behavior of particles in different scenarios.

5. What are the challenges involved in plotting a complex quantum mechanical problem?

One of the main challenges in plotting a complex quantum mechanical problem is the high level of mathematical complexity involved. This requires a deep understanding of quantum mechanics and advanced mathematical skills. Additionally, the accuracy and precision of the plotted data can also be a challenge, as even small errors can greatly impact the results of the problem.