1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex series: Circle of convergence

1. May 30, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi all.

Lets say I have a complex power series given by

\sum_{n=0}^\infty c_nz^n,

where z is a complex number and c is a complex constant. Inside its circle of convergence, I can differentiate it leading to

\sum_{n=0}^\infty c_nnz^{n-1} = \sum_{n=0}^\infty (n+1)c_{n+1}nz^{n}.

If I want to find the circle of convergence for this series, then I can use the ratio test

\frac{1}{R} = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{n \to \infty } \left| {\frac{{a_{n + 1} }}{{a_n }}} \right|.

I have two questions for this:

Question #1: Does the ratio test give me the same answer regardless of I substitute e.g. n -> n+3? I.e., is it correct that

\mathop {\lim }\limits_{n \to \infty } \left| {\frac{{a_{n + 1} }}{{a_n }}} \right| = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{n \to \infty } \left| {\frac{{a_{n + 3} }}{{a_{n + 2} }}} \right|.

Personally, I think it does not matter, because we let n go to infinity.

Question #2: Does the ratio test only work for power series that go from n=0 to infinity, or do they also work if n start at e.g. 1 or -1?

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards,
  2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2009 #2
    Well the ratio test is typically derived from comparison to a geometric series. Moreover, one way to derive the comparison test is based on the monotone convergence theorem applied to partial sums. So I think you're right on both counts since only long term behavior matters. Especially for question 2, remember that including or excluding a finite number of terms in an infinite series does not affect convergence.
  4. May 30, 2009 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Niles! :smile:
    Your intuitive suspicions are completely correct …

limiting behaviour is only affected "near" the limit …

what happens at the other end doesn't matter!

So yes, to both #1 and #2. :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?