1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Variables. Problem about complex sine.

1. Feb 29, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Complex Variables. Problem about complex sine.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Proof that the function
    [tex]\begin{displaymath}
    \begin{array}{cccc}
    f: &A=\left\{z\in\mathbb{C}\mid-\frac{\pi}{2}<\Re z<\frac{\pi}{2}\right\} &\longrightarrow &B=\mathbb{C}-\left\{z\in\mathbb{C}\mid \Im{z}=0,\,\left\vert\Re z\right\vert\geq 1\right\}\\
    &z &\mapsto &\sin(z)
    \end{array}
    \end{displaymath}[/tex]
    is a biyection.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have already proven (on the previous exercise of my book) that the complex sine is inyective on a vertical band of the complex plane of width [tex]\pi[/tex]. Then I have only to proof that the function is surjective or that there exists left inverse (more difficult since its multivaluated in general).

My problem is that I have no idea how to proof that since I have saw that the complex sine maps vertical lines in the complex plane to hyperbolas and horizontal ones to ellipses. Then I think it's imposible that the sine could map the set [tex]A[/tex] to the set [tex]B[/tex] one-one because the hyperbolas and the ellipses I have mentioned get out from [tex]B[/tex].

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 29, 2008 #2
    I did this very same problem recently. Fortunately, the book had already proven that sin(z) maps the strip [itex]\{x + iy : 0 \le x \le \pi/2[/itex] and [itex]y \ge 0\}[/itex] in a one-to-one fashion onto the first quadrant.

Then, using the fact that [itex]\sin(-\bar{z}) = -\overline{\sin(z)}[/itex], one may show that sin(z) maps the strip [itex]\{x + iy : -\pi/2 \le x \le \pi/2[/itex] and [itex]y > 0\}[/itex] to the upper half-plane bijectively.

Similarly, one may show that sin(z) maps the strip [itex]\{x + iy : -\pi/2 \le x \le \pi/2[/itex] and [itex]y < 0\}[/itex] to the lower half-plane bijectively.

Now all that's left is to consider the strip [itex]\{x + iy : -\pi/2 \le x \le \pi/2[/itex] and [itex]y = 0\}[/itex] which I leave to you.

4. Mar 1, 2008 #3
    Thanks for your help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?