Component Reliability: 9V Battery, LM334Z, 33ohm Resistor

• Thread starter Psyop
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Component
In summary, the circuit utilizes a 9V battery run through a LM334Z current regulator, with a 33ohm resistor to limit the output of the device to 2.0mA. Can and do these components fail and what is the probability of failure considering only a 9V battery as a power source? Are there better components to use? Any empirical references to component failure would also be appreciated.
Psyop
I have very little experience with electronics so I have come here to hopefully gain your insight into an issue that is currently being discuss amongst people who seem to have no clear answers.

The circuit I am interested in utilizes a 9V battery run through a LM334Z current regulator, with a 33ohm resistor to limit the output of the device to 2.0mA .
Can and do these components fail and what is the probability of failure considering only a 9V battery as a power source? Are there better components to use?
Any empirical references to component failure would also be appreciated.
Hopefully that will be enough to get the subject off the ground.
Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Component reliability is expessed by MTBF (mean time between failures) and/or FIT (failures in time). You can use google to understand MTBF and ask furthur questions.
It is a pretty deep subject, actually.

Here is the reliabilty page for the LM334Z

It has a 50% chance of failure in 66 9.122* 107
hours. But I don't know about the space between 66 and 9.
Or, 11% failures in 10**9 hours.

http://focus.ti.com/quality/docs/singlesearchresults.tsp?&templateId=5909&navigationId=11213&appType=folders&searchType=orderableOption&partialSearch=false&mtbfType=true&orderablePartNumber=LM334Z/NOPB

Basically you use the MTBF for all components to determine the circuit failure rate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Psyop said:
Are there better components to use?

We would need to know more about the problem you're trying to solve to answer that question sensibly. What's the purpose of the circuit? What's the operating environment? How long must it function? How many units are you building?

This is already a good start with the MTBF link. Thank you, I appreciate a forum with serious thinkers, it's just what I was looking for.
To be clear I am not building these devices, my hope is to better inform the community who is, sort of a public service in the interest of safety. The community I refer to is the DIY tDCS community they are self treating for a wide range of mental issues by applying a current of 2.0mA through electrodes places on various parts of the cranium, there is lots of empirical medical data on its effectiveness, I do not wish to have any part in the medical recommendation of treatment. These people are going to do this regardless, because clinical application is expensive and not available in most places.
My interest and purpose here on this forum is for experts in how electricity works to just take a look and see what is the safest way these devices could be configured to protect a user. I believe these devices to be fairly harmless when limited to 2.0mA. So that's the situation, what is the safest way to limit a 9V battery to a maximum output of 2.0mA? Are CRD a better choice.
I humbly ask the electronically enlightened people for there input.
Thank you.

No, sorry. We do not discuss dangerous activities here on the PF. Please refer to safety standard UL 544 for medical equipment design. Thread is closed.

Likes dlgoff

1. What is the expected lifespan of a 9V battery?

The expected lifespan of a 9V battery can vary depending on its quality and usage, but on average it can last between 3-5 years when stored properly and not in use. However, if used continuously, the lifespan can be significantly shorter.

2. What is the purpose of using an LM334Z component?

The LM334Z is a voltage regulator that helps maintain a constant output voltage, even as the input voltage or load changes. It is commonly used in electronic circuits to provide a stable power supply for other components.

3. How does the 33ohm resistor affect the circuit's reliability?

The 33ohm resistor helps limit the flow of current in the circuit, preventing any potential overloading or damage to the components. It also helps regulate the voltage and maintain a stable current flow, increasing the overall reliability of the circuit.

4. What can cause a 9V battery to fail?

There are several factors that can contribute to a 9V battery's failure, including age, overuse, exposure to extreme temperatures, and faulty manufacturing. Additionally, if the battery is not used for a long period of time, it can also lose its charge and become unusable.

5. Can the LM334Z and 33ohm resistor be replaced with different components?

It is possible to replace the LM334Z and 33ohm resistor with different components, but it is important to consider their specific functions and specifications. Replacing them with incompatible or lower quality components can affect the overall reliability and performance of the circuit.