Components of a Plane of Separation Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the conservation of the component parallel to the plane of separation in a problem involving a special field and potential energy. It is mentioned that a force perpendicular to the plane of separation is experienced by the particle, and that if there is a field that can produce a force parallel to the plane of separation, then the potential energy would vary in that direction. The field is said to be a consequence of the potential energy varying in the direction perpendicular to the plane of separation.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
Be a particle with mass M and velocity v1 in a space with potential energy U1, it passes from this space to another with potential energy U2. What is the final direction of motion?
Relevant Equations
\n
I have no idea how to solve this problem. The solution says that the component parallel to the plane of separation is conserved, i am not sure why. Seems to me that in the problem was assumed a special field, but not a generic field.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't be fully rigorous here but i think the particle will experience a force upon it and this force will be towards the direction of change of the potential energy, i.e perpendicular to the plane of separation. (because it is ##\vec{F}=\nabla U##.)

Hence the component parallel to the plane of separation has no forces , so this component of the velocity is conserved.

Delta2 said:
I can't be fully rigorous here but i think the particle will experience a force upon it and this force will be towards the direction of change of the potential energy, i.e perpendicular to the plane of separation. (because it is ##\vec{F}=\nabla U##.)

Hence the component parallel to the plane of separation has no forces , so this component of the velocity is conserved.
OBS: There is a negative sign, ##\vec{F}=-\nabla U##
But see, i think you agree with me there is fields that can produce a force parallel to the plane of separation. Seems the question is imagining a field perpendicular to the plane.

LCSphysicist said:
But see, i think you agree with me there is fields that can produce a force parallel to the plane of separation.
If there is such field, then the potential energy wouldn't be constant ##U_1## in one space and ##U_2## in the other space, the potential energy will also vary along the direction parallel to the plane of separation.

• Informative
Likes LCSphysicist
LCSphysicist said:
Seems the question is imagining a field perpendicular to the plane.
This field is a consequence that the potential energy varies (from U_1 to U_2) in the direction perpendicular to the plane of separation.

1. What are the main components of a plane of separation problem?

The main components of a plane of separation problem are the two objects or entities that need to be separated, the distance between them, and any other relevant factors such as speed, direction, and external forces.

2. How is the distance between two objects calculated in a plane of separation problem?

The distance between two objects in a plane of separation problem is typically calculated using mathematical equations, such as the distance formula or the Pythagorean theorem. In some cases, advanced tools such as radar or GPS may also be used to accurately measure the distance.

3. What factors can affect the outcome of a plane of separation problem?

There are several factors that can affect the outcome of a plane of separation problem, including the speed and direction of the objects, external forces such as wind or gravity, and any potential obstacles or hazards in the path of the objects.

4. How is a plane of separation problem solved?

A plane of separation problem is typically solved using mathematical models and calculations to determine the optimal distance and direction for the two objects to maintain separation. Advanced technologies and tools may also be used to aid in the solution.

5. What are some real-world applications of plane of separation problems?

Plane of separation problems are commonly used in air traffic control to ensure safe distances between airplanes in flight. They can also be applied in other scenarios, such as navigation of ships at sea or coordination of vehicles in space missions.