1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Composing Two Complex Functions

1. Dec 2, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose we have the function ##f(z) = x + iy^2## and a contour given by ##z(t) = e^t + it## on ##a \le t \le b##.
    Find ##x(t)##, ##y(t)##, and ##f(z(t))##.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, ##x(t)## and ##y(t)## are rather simple to identity. However, I am having difficulty determining ##f(z(t))##, which I believe seems from some notational issues.

##f(z) = f(z(t)) = f(\underbrace{e^t + it}_?) = ...?##

I could write

##f(z) = x + iy^2 \iff##

##f\langle (x,y) \rangle = x + iy^2##.

I know that ##x(t) = e^t## and ##y(t) = t##.

##f\langle (x(t), y(t) ) \rangle = x(t) + i[y(t)]^2 \iff##

##f\langle (x(t), y(t) ) \rangle = e^t + it^2##.

I find this somewhat unsettling. Suppose that I have the function ##f(z) = f(x,y) = u(x,y) + iv(x,y)## (I am dropping the ##\langle \rangle## notation); and suppose that we have the contour described by the parametric function ##z(t) = x(t) + iy(t)##. In the general case, would the composition look like

##f(x(t),y(t)) = u(x(t),y(t)) + iv(x(t),y(t))##?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Looks fine to me. f maps a complex number x + iy to x + iy2, so the same function maps et + it to et + it2, which is what you have.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted