Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compressibility of a Refrigerant

1. Aug 20, 2010 #1
    I am going to be running some experiments with refrigerants. They will be at various temperatures and pressures. I will then be doing some modeling of certain phenomena. I would like to be able to quantify whether the ideal gas model is reasonable during certain stages of the experiment. My first instinct is to look at the compressibility factor Z of the different refrigerants.

I am looking for someone to confirm that my methodology is sound here:

1) I have data for the same experiment except it was run with other vapors as the working fluid, like methane and the like.

2) Looking at this data, I can look at the pressures and temperatures at various stages in the experiment such as the initial conditions and final conditions (since T and P both increase from start to end).

3) Using the temperature and pressure of these other working fluids, I can fix the stated of the current working fluids (as a preliminary estimate).

4) I can then calculate the compressibility factor Z at these states for my current working fluid. This would give me a starting point to make a judgement call.

Sound reasonable? I could just run the experiment with the current working fluid, however I can only retrieve a pressure history. I believe that I can retrieve temperature data at the initial and final states though. Just not the intermittent temperatures.

Sorry, just kind of "thinking out loud" here.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted