Compton Scattering: Determining the Energy of a Scattered Gamma Ray

In summary, the problem involves a 0.662 MeV gamma ray Compton scattering from an electron at a 60° angle. To calculate the energy of the scattered gamma ray, we can use the equation E(gamma prime)= E(gamma)/(1+(E(gamma)/(mc^2)(1-cos(theta))). The value of 0.662 MeV should be kept as is and we can use the mass of the electron in MeV/c^2 to simplify the calculation.
ChrisWM
Homework Statement
A 0.662 MeV gamma ray Compton scatters from an electron at an angle of 60°. What is the energy of the scattered gamma ray? (Gamma rays are photons and are treated identically to x-rays in the analysis of Compton scattering.)
Relevant Equations
E(gamma prime)= E(gamma)/(1+(E(gamma)/(mc^2)(1-cos(theta))) ?
I'm unsure of how to proceed here. Would I use the equation

Also, do I keep the .662 Mev as is or do I convert to joules?

Physics news on Phys.org
ChrisWM said:
Homework Statement:: A 0.662 MeV gamma ray Compton scatters from an electron at an angle of 60°. What is the energy of the scattered gamma ray? (Gamma rays are photons and are treated identically to x-rays in the analysis of Compton scattering.)
Relevant Equations:: E(gamma prime)= E(gamma)/(1+(E(gamma)/(mc^2)(1-cos(theta))) ?

I'm unsure of how to proceed here. Would I use the equation

Also, do I keep the .662 Mev as is or do I convert to joules?
If you already have an equation for the change in energy, then why not use it?

Definitely use ##MeV##. Note that ##\frac{E}{mc^2}## is dimensionless. If you have ##E## in ##MeV##, then you need ##m## in ##MeV/c^2##. Which is much simpler than converting everything to SI units in this case.

1. What is Compton scattering?

Compton scattering is a phenomenon in which a photon (particle of light) collides with a charged particle, such as an electron, and transfers some of its energy to the particle, resulting in a change in the photon's wavelength and direction of travel.

2. How does Compton scattering occur?

Compton scattering occurs when a photon interacts with an electron in an atom. The photon transfers some of its energy to the electron, causing it to recoil and emit a new photon with a longer wavelength and different direction of travel.

3. What is the significance of Compton scattering in physics?

Compton scattering played a crucial role in the development of quantum mechanics and our understanding of the dual nature of light as both a wave and a particle. It also has practical applications in medical imaging and materials analysis.

4. How is Compton scattering related to the Compton effect?

The Compton effect is another name for Compton scattering, named after Arthur Compton who first observed and explained the phenomenon in 1923.

5. Can Compton scattering be used to study the structure of atoms?

Yes, Compton scattering can be used to study the structure of atoms by analyzing the changes in the wavelength and direction of the scattered photons. This technique is known as Compton scattering spectroscopy and is used in materials science and nuclear physics research.