Compton Scattering: Find scatter angle of electron & Vf

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of rearranging equations and solving for variables in order to solve a problem in physics related to the Compton effect. The individual also asks for clarification on whether it is acceptable to post pictures of their working as they progress through the problem.
Harry Atkinson

Homework Statement

http://oi58.tinypic.com/2zitybl.jpg

Homework Equations

As above

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Rearranging the above equations to remove unknowns, finally substituting new equations into the compton effect equation.

Will post up next page as I fill it,

- is it acceptable to post up pictures of my working as I go?

2nd page isolating variables

http://oi58.tinypic.com/20kpzjn.jpg

3rd page, here is where I get stuck, I need to rearrange to solve for theta but my formula is now a horrendous mess ...

http://oi59.tinypic.com/2ibmhs9.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well that was disappointing.

I've handed the assignment in anyway - will post up the answers if anyone is interested

1. What is Compton scattering?

Compton scattering is a phenomenon in which a photon (usually an X-ray or gamma ray) collides with an electron, transferring some of its energy to the electron and causing it to scatter at a different angle.

2. How is the scatter angle of the electron determined?

The scatter angle of the electron can be determined using the formula θ = arccos[(Ei + me)c^2 / (Ei + me + E′)(Ei + me)], where θ is the scatter angle, Ei is the initial energy of the photon, me is the rest mass of the electron, and E′ is the final energy of the photon after the collision.

3. What factors affect the scatter angle of the electron?

The scatter angle of the electron is affected by the initial energy of the photon, the rest mass of the electron, and the final energy of the photon after the collision. It is also influenced by the angle of incidence and the atomic number of the material that the scattering occurs in.

4. Can the scatter angle of the electron be calculated for all types of materials?

Yes, the scatter angle of the electron can be calculated for all types of materials. However, the formula used may vary slightly depending on the properties of the material, such as its atomic number and density.

5. How is the velocity of the electron after scattering (Vf) determined?

The velocity of the electron after scattering (Vf) can be determined using the formula Vf = c * √[1 - (me * c^2) / (Ei + me)]. This formula takes into account the rest mass of the electron and the initial energy of the photon.